Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Load Vista Recovery Disk

• Please log in to reply

knotsntcher

knotsntcher

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok ya’ll. I need some serious help. I'm about feed up with the E-Machine “Support” (And I use that term loosely!!). I purchased an E-Machine W3621 desktop. It originally had Vista installed on it, but the factory hard drive had crashed. Got it for a great deal and figured that I could get it running fairly cheap. I installed a Maxtor hard drive that I had at the house into the system, formatted it using Fat32. I ordered a recovery disk for the desktop from E-Machine, and received it this past Friday. Alright now here is the issue. I set the boot sequence to boot from CD, which it does. It completes the initial boot, then I get a black screen that states “Windows is loading files”. I watch the load bar move across the screen until it reaches the end. The screen will then go grey for about 30 seconds. Then a dash will appear in the upper left hand corner, flash for about a minute or so. (During this time, the CD does not cycle or anything). Then after about a minute, I get this error:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1: Insert your windows Installation disc and restart
2: Choose your language settings and click “Next”
3: Click Repair your computer

If you do not have the disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance (Which is unless, unless you want to spend $60 for 30 min)

File: /windows/system32/drivers/fltmgr.sys
Info: Windows failed to load because of a critical system driver is missing or corrupt

I tried the reboot thing, but it never gets me to the language or repair options. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You formatted the drive, using what?
I assume, it's used HD, right?
Why FAT32, not NTFS?
It looks to me, either hard drive, or CD is bad.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Although I wasn't able to find any hard evidence, many people on the web state that Vista can't be installed on FAT32.

The error message seems to state that it (the Windows installer) can't locate fltmgr.sys on your hard drive (which, presumably, it installed there earlier).

If you can't get another DVD to test with, I'd suggest a reformat to NTFS.

Edited by usasma, 07 April 2009 - 05:29 AM.

bitterbeauty

bitterbeauty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm new @ this & I'm trying 2 make it simple & 2 the point .
I have a hp laptop and my boot manager states
windows failed 2 start
file:\windosws\system32\winload.exe
I tried to recover it with my recover disc that came with it (which my husband pay for the disc when he bought my the laptop )
but when I start 2 reload , it reaches 50% and claims microsoft visual c+ + runtime library , runtime Error ! , program: x:\windows\system\restore7.exe
abnormal program termination
Please help !

Edited by bitterbeauty, 23 April 2009 - 09:28 AM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
@bitterbeauty - please create a new topic for your issue. Although it may seem similar, there are enough differences between individual systems that a new topic is the most appropriate way to get your issue the attention that it deserves.

This way the original poster's topic gets the attention it deserves without it being cluttered with 2 separate topics (and the confusion that can result from that).

Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation.