Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stopped XP installation part way through, now computer doesn't wor

• Please log in to reply

T-J

T-J

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm building a computer and I started to install xp when I realised I hadn't set up the RAID settings I wanted.
Anyway, I turned off my computer (pushed the power button) then turned it back on again, now my computer doesn't give any kind of signal to my monitor.

I tried unplugging my hard drives, graphics card and cd drive but I still have the same problem.
The LED system on the motherboard indicates abnormal cpu error.

The computer was operating fine before I started to install XP

What should I do?

Cheers

Edited by T-J, 07 April 2009 - 06:02 AM.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried resetting your BIOS settings to default, then resetting the RAID BIOS settings to default also?
What happens when you try to boot from a bootable CD? Any error messages, unusual noises, etc?

T-J

T-J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well I can't reset anything in bios because I don't have any signal to do so.
I've tried turning it on again with the xp disk inside - it still just turns on but there still isn't any signal. MOBO LEDs still indicate adnormal cpu error
I've tried turning it on with the mobo driver cd inside. Same thing happens as before

I also suspect my cpu may be starting to overheat as computer sometimes turns itself off just after i turn it on.

I would think that stuff isn't connected properly if it wasn't that it was all working fine before the xp disk went in.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On first black post screen where memory counts and it shows hd's and cdroms. Tap the DEL key. This will get you into the BIOS or CMOS.

T-J

T-J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
sorry, just realised you reset the cmos settings through the jumper on the mother board.
I've done that, still no signal on the monitor.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Recheck monitor connection the system. If that doesn't seem to be a issue then try to use a different monitor to make sure it's not the monitor itself.
Is the system powering up for example the fans are turning, the hd's are spinning up, the lights are coming on and the cdrom light comes on?

T-J

T-J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well the monitor worked before so there's no reason why it shouldn't now. I've also checked with the computer i'm using now that it works fine.

All of the fans spin, but the power & HDD LEDs don't come on anymore.
The hard drives still come on.
Reset button doesn't work.

Is it not posible that this is a software issue? Because it wasn't untill I attempted to install xp that this happened.
And if it is, isn't there a way to completly reset anything the xp disk could have changed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Installing OS system would not cause the issues you are describing. I see two possible problems in your description of your issue

1:"The LED system on the motherboard indicates abnormal cpu error" This could indicate a internal issue with your cpu
2:"All of the fans spin, but the power & HDD LEDs don't come on anymore.
The hard drives still come on.
Reset button doesn't work."
This could point to a motherboard problem. Have you tried a complete power down of the system? Turn system off, unplug power to system. Then hold the power button for a few seconds to clear any residual power left in the motherboard and power supply. Let sit for 5 minutes then try to start system.

T-J

T-J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok I tried a complete power down, it still doesn't work.

Is there any kind of test to find out if your motherboard or cpu is working correctly?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try and take out cpu and reinstall to make sure it is seated correctly.
Also check power connector to motherboard and make sure it did not come loose.
Take out memory and reseat it
Check HD, Cdrom connections and make sure they are connected properly
Also please check and see if you are getting the mb led lights that show a cpu error still.
If so then I am inclined to believe your mb is working and the root of your problem may be the cpu itself

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 April 2009 - 10:57 AM.

Advertisements

T-J

T-J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've reinstalled the cpu, checked the main power connector, reseated the memory and checked the hard drive and cd drive connection.

Motherboard LEDs still tell me that it's an "abnormal: cpu/chipset error"
Any other way of testing if cpu works properly?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not without getting the system to bootup :)
How old is the cpu?
Was it a retail version(Included fan)
or was it a OEM(No Fan Included)

Depending on where it was bought and who you talk to there may be a possibility of returning it for DOA

T-J

T-J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The cpu is brand new from ccl online. Fan included.

But it wouldn't make sense for the cpu when it was working fine untill I stopped xp from installing.
Unless turning the computer off could damage it... Could it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe your issue is just something that happened at the same time.
Being that it is a new cpu then you should be able to return\exchange
I would call ccl online and talk to them about the problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...pardon the intrusion...

I've seen this issue caused by the motherboard shorting to the chassis. To see if that's the case here, take everything out of the case and assemble it on a table top. See if it will boot with video that way. If it does, you'll be looking for a short.

wannabe1