Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Win98 on multiple computers

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hello all. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Here's the scenario: I am going to build 20 identical computers for work. All I need to do is install Windows 98 (because all I need for these computers is a Windows DOS prompt) and the drivers. Then I will configure the computer to go onto our work network.

My question: Rather than install Win98, load drivers, and configure network 20 times, is there any way I could do it only once, make an image, and then load it onto the other 19 computers? Please assume all computers have identical hardware. And the harddrives on each computer are straight from the factory (i.e. have no been formatted).

What I was thinking I could do was: after I get the computer set up just right, install Norton Ghost and burn an image to a CD. If I did that, could I then just boot from the image CD and load it onto the other 19 computers?

I guess what I'm really asking is: Is there an easier way to install Win98, load drivers, and set up network connectivity for 20 computers than by doing it 20 times?

Thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is basically what you need to do, though a couple issues will present themselves.

Is this a workgroup? or domain? If you do it this way, all machines are going to have the same name. That will not work, then, so you will need to manually change them.

There are better ways of doing this using script files and setup files, but at 20 machines only, that may not be worth the effort of setting up

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they will also all have the same cd-key....and of course you should have separate licenses for each machine.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Is this a workgroup? or domain? If you do it this way, all machines are going to have the same name. That will not work, then, so you will need to manually change them.

I'm not sure. I'm not very network savvy...just know how to get it on the network using NetBUI. But to change the name manually, all I would have to do is click on properties under Network Neighborhood, change it, and then reboot? Is that correct?

they will also all have the same cd-key....and of course you should have separate licenses for each machine.

My company owns about 200 copies of Win98 from previous computers we bought. These new ones are replacing the old ones (meaning we are trashing the old ones), so I was going to use the old copies of Windows, which I believe is legitimate. Would there be any way I could change the CD-key once I load the image? Or is it ok to let all machines have the same CD-key as long as my company acutally owns the necessary number of licesnes?

Thanks for your quick response!

Mike.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, you can change the name that way

the second question is really one for the lawyers and depends on your license. There are several types of licenses....an OEM license stays with the machine, so you would technically not be legal, a retail or upgrade license stays with the license holder.

As for changing them, you can edit the registry in windows 98 to change them, or you can go the easy route and download magic jelly bean keyfinder (google it)

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

There are several types of licenses....an OEM license stays with the machine, so you would technically not be legal, a retail or upgrade license stays with the license holder.

I'm pretty sure our licenses are the second type since the computers we previously bought actually came with a Windows 98 CD and the manual with the CD-key on it and the anti-piracy meausres all shrink wrapped and everything.

Thanks for your help. I will post how everything turns out.