Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot install Wireless Driver

• Please log in to reply

Trasiel

Trasiel

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, so hope I'm doing everything right. I have a Toshiba Laptop and I reformatted it and reinstalled all the drivers but the wireless driver will not install. In fact, when I try to install it, it says cannot detect wireless hardware in computer, like the card isn't being detected. The wireless is onboard on the computer.

Computer Brand: Toshiba
Computer Model: L25 S1194

I went to the toshiba website and got all the rest of the drivers including audio, video, LAN. Wireless driver just refuses to install. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

~Trasiel

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well two things come to mind.... Some laptops actually have switches to turn "off" the wireless which may or may not keep the computer from detecting it.... It's also possible that the bios has a setting to turn it on or off... the second thought is, are you sure you have the correct driver.... Make sure that there are not more than one possible driver for the software....

Trasiel

Trasiel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply

The button on the front to turn on the wireless is on, the bios setting for the wifi LAN is on and I have searched the toshiba website for the correct driver multiple times. The error I get when I try to install the driver is "NOTICE - This version of the wireless software does not support the currently installed wireless adapter" <---- This makes me think it's the wrong driver but ive been up and down the toshiba website and I've also looked for 3rd party websites to provide the driver. No luck. Any ideas?

~Trasiel

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Make sure you double check your divice manager and see if your wireless adapter is listed there. If it is let us know if there is a yellow or red warning symbol next to it. Also, if you can, let us know about your wireless adapter. We can try to find a driver for it. I know my Dell had three different drivers for it. One is for US model, another is for Canadian, and the third driver is for all others. It's possible you may have drivers for that card, but (In my case) wrong country.

Trasiel

Trasiel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I do have a yellow exclamation mark by the network device, I tried to update it through that and it said none can be found. I tried pointed it in the right direction too. It doesn't however say anything "Wireless Lan Card" just says Network Device. I have downloaded all like three different drivers from the website and still no luck, just gives me the same error over and over. How do I go about finding out which wireless card is mine? (Name of It)

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I will search your model # and see if I can pull up specs on it.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
It looks like you have a 802.11a/b/g Wireless
Check out this driver here and let me know if you have any luck.
http://www.softpicks...ss_LAN-4439.htm

Trasiel

Trasiel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It downloads fine, takes a bit to install, then when it finishes install it gives me this message "No matching driver has been found for your adapter or no adapter is installed. Do you wish to proceed with this installation? I click Yes and it completes but it doesn't show up anywhere. I still have a ? mark in my device manager. And windows wireless manager still doesn't exist.

Thanks for the replies by the way, keep em comming, we will figure this out.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hmmmm.... I will continue my search. Just to make sure, Did you reboot? If not try rebooting to see if the problems still exist.

Trasiel

Trasiel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried rebooting still nothing. Is there any sure way to see if the wireless card has gone bad? I suppose it could have randomly......

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
You could try going here:

http://majorgeeks.co...wnload4181.html

download and install program and it may ( it's no longer being updated ) be able to detect what your wireless card is... all the 802.11a/b/g tells you is more or less the language/frequency it uses to talk to the wireless network.... you need to find a brand or at least a chipset that is used on the device and maybe you can use that info to find a driver...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you been HERE

Trasiel

Trasiel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Shard your program that you offered, worked perfect! Thank you. It seemed that the computer had an intel card that was unrelated to the toshiba board. Must have been replaced once before. Thanks a million!