Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mup.sys

• Please log in to reply

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
lol safe mode brings yp old mup.sys, i think i need to repair it. @shaffer, no, the computers kernal was broken, and it kept resetting, tbf, it had this coming imho, but it never got bad untill like a month ago, then it chucked you off all the time, and now it just comes up with the F8 menu.My computer came preinstalled with windows, i took it to the shop around 4 years back because something broke, cannot remember now, so they installed it again. Do any of you know if i take it into a shop to have it reapirs they canback up some of my data, because if not despiteme not having it i will use the ubantu methord to back up my files I do not think cb that you understand the whole thing, partly due to me. My computer will allways go on that menu, then it will black screen and go back to startup, if i press any safemode, it comes up with all the drivers and then ends on mup.sys, indecating that that is the last good drive. I know how to fix it now, its just a matter of getting a xp disk. GRAHH
edit: we may have found a xp disk, my mate has it on his laptop and says he might still have the disk, if i can find one, could someone please tell me what to do with it lol, as i dunno how to boot from cd, oh right unless i put it as my first option to boot, will it find the boot automatically
edit2: No luk with the disk, but i have another solution.if i installed ubantu to a disk using my ps3 (Looking up if it would work or not) i have heard there is a way to use that to get to your old windows files, if you can do that, we can ..... windows for all i am conserned,and then use ubatu forever, but cause the computer is a 6 year old time computer, will it work with ubantu, well does ubantu use morepower than xp lol

Edited by Iwishihadusedubantu, 10 April 2009 - 10:02 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you don't have the xp cd then there isn't a way to do it.
If you can get a xp cd that matches your xp
home or pro and you have your registration key number then we can fix this.
The registration key is yours
The cd can be from anyone that has the same version of windows
I hope this makes sense

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I may be having it fxed, my mate says he has had it before, and he works with computers,and has the disk, so he willtry

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you don't want to lose your data then you will need to do a repair installation. Please let me know if we can assist you in this.
I would recommend that you try and make backups of your important stuff just in case.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Puppy Linux will run from the CD and allow you to see your hard drive and then make copies of the data to a flash, USB external HD, or burn to a CD.

If you need to go that route, we can help also.

I do not remember, but if this is a desktop, you can slave it to your friends computer and pull the data also.
You can do that with a laptop drive, but its a little more difficult and you need an adapter to go from 2.5 (laptop) to 3.5 (desktop). They are available though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks 123Runner. Good to see you here. Good advice.
I think I need to learn that Puppy Linux also. Never used it but it sounds really good.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

I do not think cb that you understand the whole thing, partly due to me. My computer will allways go on that menu, then it will black screen and go back to startup, if i press any safemode, it comes up with all the drivers and then ends on mup.sys, indecating that that is the last good drive. I know how to fix it now, its just a matter of getting a xp disk.

I was hoping maybe (real big one) that you could get there to safe mode, 99% of the time it isn't possible, just trying out that one percent.

I would do a repair if possible, to save the data,

I would perform commands:

chkdsk /r it will recover and fix any lost data

chkdsk /f will only fix errors and is alot faster

bootcfg /rebuild

fixboot

those commands should help fix this.
NOTE: you will only need to perform one of the chkdsk commands

And like 123runner said you could us Puppy Linux on a live CD to save you data. Which ever way you go You should be able to get fixed, If you need any assistance we would love to assist you.

Good Luck

Cbarnard

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Cbarnad, i have fixed it now thanks to you, really helped me alot you guys. But now i am planning to get a new computer in a few months, as my old computer made by time is just not that good anymore, i am thinking a nice one with ubantu, cause without windows its cheeper i have heard, thanks alot, and expect me back here. And one more quick question, will what i have done stop my computer from randomly resetting itself

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Cbarnard, i have fixed it now thanks to you, really helped me alot you guys.

Thank you very much, Rshaffer61 and 123Runner deserve the credit to. I'm glad we all could help you we welcome your questions anytime...

But now i am planning to get a new computer in a few months, as my old computer made by time is just not that good anymore, i am thinking a nice one with ubantu, cause without windows its cheaper i have heard, thanks alot, and expect me back here

When it is time to get your new computer, you should consider building it. It is pretty straight forward,I could help you with parts selection, and we have a whole section devoted to system building here on the forum. I look through it to help people build their own setup. The nice thing about a custom built unit is you know and control every part in it. You develop a relationship of sorts with it.

And one more quick question, will what i have done stop my computer from randomly resetting itself

I'm not sure, if the problem stopped, there could have been some corruption in the OS, If it continues I would look at hardware, and also overheating. A computer will usually shut down when it overheats. Clean out the tower and all vents of dust.

If the computer continues to shut down, You may have a memory issue. Make sure your ram is seated properly, and the clips are fully engaged.

If this doesn't help.

You could also run Memtest86 on your ram, If you have a live CD of ubuntu, Memtest comes with it. Just start Memtest instead of Ubuntu.

If you have multiple Ram modules then test them separately in the first DIMM (closest to the CPU.) Run each test 5 times on each ram module. If that didn't produce any errors, test both Ram modules 5 times. If you don't have any errors then your Ram is fine.

If you don't have an Ubuntu live CD you can download the program here Memtest86.com Once at the site click on free download on the left part of the screen.

Follow the instructions to create the file. If you have any questions with how to make a bootable disk or usb drive just write back and I will assist you.

Good Luck and Congratulations :)

Cbarnard

If our assistance has been helpful please consider a donation click GeeksToGo to do this

Edited by cbarnard, 11 April 2009 - 08:17 AM.

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah, itbroke again a few hours later, same thing with old mup.sys, I asked someone who locally does computers to check the hardware,and it was the fan, it had sucked loads of dust in (I need something to stop this now, i wipe it clean everyday but it still gets illed with it) and it was overheating the omputer, if i had known the average speed the fan should have been working at i would have checked the bios and noticed mabey, but yeah, barnard, can't donate atm, but i will donate soon def, and if i win the lottery this saterday, i might give you 1,50£ who knows lol. Nah, i never heard of this board before, but i will be haning around a lot more often. I may build a computer, but i am only lookin for a cheap one, unless it would help me?

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Yeah, itbroke again a few hours later, same thing with old mup.sys, I asked someone who locally does computers to check the hardware,and it was the fan, it had sucked loads of dust in (I need something to stop this now, i wipe it clean everyday but it still gets illed with it) and it was overheating the omputer, if i had known the average speed the fan should have been working at i would have checked the bios and noticed mabey, but yeah, cbarnard, can't donate atm, but i will donate soon def, and if i win the lottery this saterday, i might give you 1,50£ who knows lol. Nah, i never heard of this board before, but i will be haning around a lot more often. I may build a computer, but i am only lookin for a cheap one, unless it would help me?

You need(unless the computer shop already did) to clean out the tower completely. Maybe you could build an enclosure for your tower with an intake opening and output, Then attach a filter and fan(the fan doesn't need to be huge just enough to get good air flow) setup on the intake side, This will provide cool fresh air, and filter the dust out at the same time... if you are in a very dusty place (sounds like you are) you may need to clean the tower 2-3 times a week or more... Dust build up retains heat and negates any cooling effects.

I hope you can get figured out

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sorry m8i not been online for agesa, yeah everything is good now, thanks all