Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Vista Updates?

• Please log in to reply

G-bo

G-bo

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi folks,I'm running Vista Ultimate and my updates have stopped working so I tried to turn them back on and it would not let me .So I tried to update manually and still could not.Got error message 80070424.So I followed windows recommendations for dealing with this error and nothing helped.Ran windows one care and it removed 3 items also ran a malware scan and turned up nothing.So far updates are still not working.Would appreciate any help.Cheers.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Hello there!
Please do the following:

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories. Right Click the 'Command Prompt' item and click the 'Run As Administrator' option.

In the Command Prompt window, Paste the following command.

REGSVR32 %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL

Press ENTER.

You should see a popup that says the command succeeded.

Exit the command prompt and try Windows Update again.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello G-bo

In addition to the previous post please read the following Microsoft article which is here

Regards

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hey Dragon master J,Thank you very much you're a genius that worked like a charm.I was just wondering if it was something that I did that started this so I don't do it again.Once again thanks a lot,appreciate the help very much.Cheers.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I have a great tip, that everyone can learn from that will make sure updates install correctly.
Here is a good tip from me to you!

• Have a good security software: Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware. Before downloading your prospective anti-virus or anti-spyware, check the website of choice on Web-Of-Trust. Here is an example of an anti-virus scorecard on WOT: Click me. You saw that F-Secure was good. So download it, and use it as your anti-virus.
  • Next, when downloading files or programs from the internet, SAVE THEM to your desktop instead of opening them from the location.
  • Most anti-virus programs have a shell extension (right click scanner) that you simply right click on any file and select Scan with [Insert AV Name here].
  • After you save the file or program installer to the desktop, right click on that file and select Scan with [Insert AV Name here]. Let it scan.
  • Then, if it is clean, double-click on it to install the program, or open the file.
  • Lastly, if it is a ZIP, Tar, GZ, 7Z, EPS, PS -- then extract the files first. Then scan them before opening them. You cannot scan locked directories. But extracted directories you can.
Why you should follow this guide and why it helps:
  • When you install a bad program, or unsafe program; you run the risk of damaging Windows files, the Windows installer, and putting your own files at risk.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 10 April 2009 - 09:25 PM.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hey dragon master jay,that's some good advice and I usually do scan all my downloads ,but I must admit that I didn't know about unzipping files and then scanning them, but I will be doing that from now on .Thanks again for all your help.Cheers.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
:)

If you have any more issues with installing updates, then this topic will probably help solve them.