Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Freezes At Random

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK here we go

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter system bios
Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen
You will need to change the boot sequence so that the cdrom is first and the hd is second
Press F10 to save and exit, press ok to accept
The system will now reboot

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Advertisements

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
After I'm finished do I need to alter the boot sequence again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yes, a window appear on bootup saying to boot to cdrom push any key if you don't change it back. Make sure the installation is complete.
A side note, when this is all done then you will have to do all the windows updates again as this will take you back to what your original windows was with no updates. Make sure you do the auto updates
Go Here and get all updates.
You should be able to do it with IE being repaired.
Post back with results then. Good luck and I will be here if you need more assistance

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I did it, but IE is still preventing me from clicking links and etc etc...Also my PC is running a bit slower.

Edit: Is there anything else I can try? If not, I think I'm gonna go ahead and reformat it. But, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.

Edited by Kuronishi, 11 April 2009 - 10:02 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think the time has come to admit it's time to format. The only thing left is a infection. I'm sorry I could not help you fix your issue. Formatting should get rid of any infection if that is the problem.
Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Edit: Is there anything else I can try? If not, I think I'm gonna go ahead and reformat it. But, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.

Do you have access to another computer?

If you do you can go through and download the programs with that computer and burn the .EXE files to disk. Then install from CD to your computer. It definatly sounds like you are infected, you can get around the redirect most likely, I would install in safe mode. But it sounds like the infection is still active in Safe Mode. But this is worth a try before I would reformat

Hopefully this can help, I use this method when I come across units that won't let me go to the AV sites.

Cbarnard

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Welp I reformatted, but I think I'm in another dilemma. I wasn't sure if the spyware had gotten to my 2nd internal HD so I went ahead and cleaned that one as well. I did so by pressing the D key for my C: drive and my D: drive (my 2nd HD). Now I'm unable to access my D: drive because it no longer appears on "My Computer". Is there a way to set it so I can have access to it again?

Also, I want to know what u'd suggest for me to use as a antivirus/spyware removal program. I use Bitdefender and Max Secure Spyware detector, but as you can see somehow I got infected w/ something, so is there anything else better out there?

Edited by Kuronishi, 12 April 2009 - 03:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to the Free Antivirus link in my signature for the free programs GTG recommends.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks, I will! Do you know what I could do to correct the 2nd internal HD issue?

Edited by Kuronishi, 12 April 2009 - 03:39 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm trying to figure that out. I think what you did was delete the icon for the D drive.

Advertisements

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Sorry for wording it wrong up there, but I'm pretty sure I reformatted it. On the windows set up screen I deleted the partition that was on my C: Drive and I figured that there was probably spyware on my D: drive so I deleted that partition as well, just to be on the safe side. Then I made a new Partition on my C: Drive and began installing my windows. So am I right to assume that I have to reinstall my 2nd HD since I removed that partition? And if so I don't really know how to go about doing that, because if I were to install a new partition on that drive wouldn't that just install another windows?

Edited by Kuronishi, 12 April 2009 - 04:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh ok now it makes sense.
What you need to do is repartition the drive to get it to sow up again in my computer. To do that you have to get to the computer management console.
What OS do you have? I'm at inlaws house and can't see the rest of topic. I think if you go to
Start>Run>type in compmgmt.msc
then click enter
go down to disk management
on the right screen you will se your hd's
right click on the D or the drive 1
I believe then you right click in the white field on drive 1 and a window should popup
In there should be the partition command
Set partition for full size of the drive
Then after that is finished you will have to right click again and then format the drive with NTFS
This will make the drive reappear then in My computer
Let me know if you have any problems and I will try to help you further

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
K, it worked, but is the HD's name supposed to show up in blue on "My Computer"?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey I see you were having some problems:

I had an idea since you have 2 HDD in an effort for better performance you could create 2 partitions on your second drive. The 1st partition sized to 1.5 times the amt of ram you have(FAT32 format) and set as a logical partition, and the the rest of the drive for storage (NTFS format)

After you do that you assign the paging files (Virtual Memory) to the 1st partition of the 2nd drive

The reason for doing this is:

Your operating system runs off the C:\drive and typically your virtual memory operates on the same hdd. This causes the arm of the c:\ drive to have to move a lot more to get the info for the OS, and also to keep up with the paging files.

But if you have a second hdd you can have that one set up just for page files and storage, and the 1st hdd is used just for the OS... So you overall performance is increased because of this...

If you like to do this click:

Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Performance settings > Advanced tab > Paging file Change

This will bring you to the window where you can assign the paging files

First you need to set the D drive for the paging files to be ran from

Then click on custom, once there set the minimum and maximum settings for the size of the page files.

Once that is complete you should be set, I believe you will need to reboot the computer.

Now you are done... Everything should work on its own now... I have multiple hdd's and I also use this setup

This was just a thought for you.

Anyways good luck and I hope everything works out for you :)

Cbarnard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To Cbarnard :) :) :)