Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't Think This is a Malware Problem

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I will go through the Malware Removal process if necessary, but first would like to try other things because my Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 should be taking care of any viruses, etc. Or does it? I look at "Detected threats" and see 5 "Very dangerous" under "Criticality.

But I suspect that Kaspersky is dealing with these and I don't have to do anything.

No. I suspect something just wrong with my system.

Systems, etc.:

Machines Modem and Router Info

Machine Name:	Power Mac G5
  Machine Model:	PowerMac7,3
  CPU Type:	PowerPC G5  (3.1)
  Number Of CPUs:	2
  CPU Speed:	2.7 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
  Memory:	5.5 GB
  Bus Speed:	1.35 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:	5.2.4f1

----------

Mine:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Intel Celeron CPU 2.20GHz
2.19, 512 MB of RAM

Used space:  8.37 GB
Free space:   27.8 GB

----------

Hers:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 300 GB of RAM

Used space:  52.3 GB
Free space:   91.6 GB

----------

Router:

D-Link  DIR-628
Rangebooster N
Dual Band Router

Plus, if important and/or valuable:  

D-Link  DWA-160
XTreme N
Dual Band USB Adapter

Modem:

ARRIS Touchstone Telephony Modem

The Mac is not yet gone wireless. It needs an AirPort Extreme with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. This will be installed by an Apple Service Provider this coming week.

These are the problems:

Email is slow and so is page loading. I did a test and found that it takes 31 seconds for my search engine home page to load. It takes Hers 3 seconds, and the Mac is instantaneous.

Using Firefox to upload something to my blog it shows the images. Not so with Internet Explorer. Firefox is the default for all 3 computers.

Opening any page takes at least half a minute. "Reading", "connecting", "transfer". These are some of what I read in the task bar. Yes, finally the pages load, but this is new. Used to be the pages would load right away.

Any advise will be most welcome and appreciated.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Try checking your connection speed with SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/

Have you tried connecting to the web in Safe Mode with Networking? Is there any improvement there?

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thanks usasma,

I'm about to run this test and will report back.

Interesting I found in C:\Program Files two folders for Mozilla Firefox. Don't know if this means anything; just a curious situation.

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
and
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox(2)

Wonder if this presents a conflict, and if so how to resolve it.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Most likely that means that you've got 2 copies of Firefox installed. The one with the 2 is the most recent. It's possible that they could conflict (although I've never seen it) if they're both running at the same time.

Check the Processes tab in Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to see if there's more than one running. Make sure that you select the check box in the bottom left to"Show Processes from All Users". If there's more than one running, make sure that you've saved what you want to in Firefox - then right click on one of them and select "End Process", then click Yes in the confirmation box that appears. See if that helps your performance.

If that turns out the be the issue, then you'll have to figure out why a second instance is running, and how to permanently stop it.
But that'll depend on what you find out - so post back and let us know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup
Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Startups

See if there are 2 entries for Firefox. If so uncheck one
Click Apply then Ok
System will probably reboot to make sure changes are started correctly.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
usasma,

Only one firefox.exe under WTM/Processes.

Question: I fired up Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC and found countless problems. Before I register this product I want to be sure it will handle XP Pro? Ought to, since that's what I'm running.

Now off to rshaffer61's directions.

Will report back.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
rshaffer61,

Not even 1 entry for Firefox listed under Startup.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Robert,

Just for giggles, can you take your computer back to wired and see if that improves the speed?
I don't recall what wireless adapter you are running.

If the wired works, then we can concentrate on the wireless router and adapter (or location)

123runner

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Pardon me for going off on a tangent. I do so in the event that you might see something here.

I read somewhere that running XP Pro I won't be able to "see" the Mac, or vise versa.

Also that each of the 3 computers must have the same name.

Wonder if there's anything to this?

The Apple shop said that I can connect to the Mac even without the AirPort card. But I'm going for the whole meal deal and having that card installed.

Also, the way all this started was my wife's 8-year-old computer had been dying a slow death. So I migrated a very few items from the Dell XPS 400 to the Dell Optiplex GX260 (mine with XP Pro). Then set her up with with the XPS 400, migrating only her important files such as images and games from her old Dell Dimension L667r.

As I said, her computer is running fine at 54.0 Mbps. Mine is slow at 130.0 Mbps.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
123Runner,

I can do this I suppose. It was a Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router. And it's true that all was fine with that except for the annoyance of all the wires.

Oh, yes! This will be fun! And I hate the thought of doing it. However, it had occurred to me to do just that. Will take a lot of time and confusion, but will do it if you really think this will offer some knowledge. At least when we were wired the router's green lights were steady. The wireless D-Link has 1 steady green light on the far left. To the right of that is a globe that's blinking. Then a blinking 2.4GHz. A "dead" 5Ghz and then a single blinking number 1.

The Wireless adapter is a D-Link DWA-160 Xtreme N Dual Band USB Adapter. Linda's is a D-Link WDA-1320 Wireless G Desktop Adapter.

Robert

Edited by Robert Tracy, 12 April 2009 - 09:16 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Robert,

I do not recall in your other post about what you moved. I worked on the other post with you in dealing with the wireless issue, so I am aware of the mac. Unfortunately, I can't help with the mac.

As I said, her computer is running fine at 54.0 Mbps. Mine is slow at 130.0 Mbps.

This must be in error. You must have meant 130kbps, because if what you posted is correct, yours is faster.

Please try the wired route and the other suggestions and get back to us.

123runner

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I posted a little late.

You should be able to right click the wireless icon in the taskbar and click on disable.
Then just run a wire from the router to the lan connection in the computer.
I do that all the time with the company laptop because it gets a little funky on the wireless signal at times.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
123Runner,

You should be able to right click the wireless icon in the taskbar and click on disable.
Then just run a wire from the router to the lan connection in the computer.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this at all. Run a wire from the wireless router? What kind of wire? You mean a big cable? To the "lan connection"? Where is the lan connection? At my computer? Or does it matter? Thing is I don't know if my computer is the number one computer, or if it's Linda's. I'm sure I had plugged mine into the number 1 and hers into number 2 slot before taking those two cables out of the wireless router. The Mac is still plugged into number 3. until I get the AirPort card installed.

I don't know how to do this.

I did undo the wireless connection and went back to a wired. What that did was offer me no internet connection at all. So I'm back now to the wireless connection however badly it performs on my computer.

Wires! I've done all the wireless change-over myself so as to save the money it would cost me to have a real tech in here to get it right. Now it looks like this is the way I'm going to have to go and never mind that I'll have an over-draft in my checking account this month.

"...her computer is running fine at 54.0 Mbps. Mine is slow at 130.0 Mbps."

I'm now at 52.0 Mbps (Signal Strength: Excellent) and she's at 54.0 Mbps (Signal Strength: Very Good). My internet pages are now loading in 6 seconds as opposed to 31+. She's still at 3 seconds.

I'm afraid I'm practically at a loss. Like some mystery. Oh what a tangled web I've woven here. But how so much better my computer by just trying the wired network, and failing?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
So at this time you seem to be ok. The differance can be in the adapters.

You have already connected up your "wired" connection. All I meant was to reconnect it up to see if you got an improvement.
The "lan" connection is the port on the back of the computer.
The "wire" I was referring to was the cable (RJ45).
Plugging in to the router with the cable does not matter if you use 1 or 2 or 3. They are all the same.

Just an FYI. My laptop floats at 28mbps to 54mbps. Most times it is at 36 to 48mbps.
I am about 5 feet from the router. It seems more stable furthur away (when I go into the living room).
My wireless is built in to the laptop. I have a friends HP laptop that is always on 54mbps. It does not matter where it is placed.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

The "wire" I was referring to was the cable (RJ45).

Hmm...I don't have this cable--that I know of. I've looked at all of them. Guess it doesn't matter?

Yes, I'm fast now.

I did run a scan with Uniblue and it found a ton of problems. Thing is I don't trust it much. I did use it a couple of years ago and just let it make all the corrections by default. If anything it made matters worse. What do you think about it?

You're

at 28mbps to 54mbps. Most times it is at 36 to 48mbps.
I am about 5 feet from the router. It seems more stable furthur away...

This is what I'm waiting for. Should have the Mac (whose cable is still plugged into the wireless router) ready this week and then plan on moving the router and modem some 12 feet away, where as now it's about 2 feet away from my computer and 6 feet from Linda's.

In any case, something good came out of whatever happened today.

Thanks for taking the time and offering me the benefit of your knowledge.