Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Issue

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I had multiple Windows installed and then all crashed, and I got blue screen.

***Artellos is helping me, this is a continuation from the chat*** And I appreciate that he took 5 hours to sit with me to help me recover. :)

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey bigdog1100,

As last night the last thing we bumped into was the firewall not giving you access and you not being able to open that thread.
Lets try and do an installation of ZoneAlarm ontop of this one, then properly remove the newly installed version to see if that gets rid of the older one.

You can get ZoneAlarm here. (Direct Download Link)

Regards,
Olrik

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hey Artellos. After we parted, I installed Network Adapter, created home networking with Wizard, did Sound and upgraded to SP2, since it was a good idea anyway and Zone Alarm didn't want to install on SP1. I then Installed Zone Alarm and did all the Windows updates. Since the space is not an issue, I would rather not touch anything, except maybe removing latest installation and renaming the old windows folder so that I know which one is which. One thing I'd like to ask you is, how can I backup my Windows (on a separate disk?), so that if anything happens, I could restore to the exact Windows back.

On an unrelated note, I just saw you from The Netherlands. I think it's awesome. :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Renaming the windows folders would not be possible. (C:\Window)
In theory you can remove the C:\Windows and C:\Windows2 folders.

About the backups, You'd need third party software for that.
I would like to recommend Acronis, but that's not free.

Is your Internet connection back?

Regards,
Olrik

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ah, yes. The moment I installed network adapter and networking, connection came back. What about System Restore, does it store stuff to some file or something? Can I use that as a backup to some extent?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Good to hear your connection is back.

System Restore is not a proper back-up system.
System Restore is there as a safety net for if something bad happens.

Regards,
Olrik

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you want to clone the hard drive to another hard drive...you can use HDclone...its free...only limitation is you have to clone to a bigger hard drive than you have installed...there are paid versions that do not have this limitation and they transfer much faster..after cloning the drive you can remove the old drive and put it in a safe place and in the event you have serious issues with your system or the new drive fails ...you can just plug in the old drive after disconnecting the new screwed up drive and within minutes your up and running again...

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Thanks for the Recommendation happyrock :)

Regards,
Olrik

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Well then this issue is complete. Once again Huge thank you for all your support, Artellos. The windows are up and running, and I don't need to re-install a million apps again that I work with. As far as the hard drive backup and cloning goes, I will research for the best option, thank you happyrock as well. One last thing, is there anything else I need to clean up or do, or am I all set?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You're all set, bigdog1100.
Thanks for the entry in my guestbook :)

Regards,
Olrik