Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Startup

• Please log in to reply

stipower

stipower

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey guys whenever i start my laptop it just freezes on my wallpaper then after 10 minutes my desktop icons start appearing is there a way to get rid of this?

Thanks G2G!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space
When did this issue start
Was there any updates software or hardware done to the system prior to starting
Any new software installed prior to issue starting

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Make: Toshiba
Model: MSAT010AIV03
Operating System: Microsoft windows xp media center edition version 2002 SP3
Age of the computer: 3 years
Memory Total 1GB
Hard Drive Size: 82.9gb How much free space: 57.2gb
When did this issue start: Been going on for 4 months now
Was there any updates software or hardware done to the system prior to starting: new msn messenger live, the new AVG antivirus, frostwire.
Any new software installed prior to issue starting: cant remember same as above probably

thanks

Edited by stipower, 11 April 2009 - 10:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup
Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig >>>press enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.

If this does not find the problem then

Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Services
Click on Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a service problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.

Post back with the results

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 April 2009 - 11:01 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Was there any updates software or hardware done to the system prior to starting: new msn messenger live, the new AVG antivirus, frostwire.

I see that you Frostwire installed on your computer. It is my recommendation that you uninstall it.

This is completely optional.

P2P (Peer to Peer) programs like Frostwire and Kazza are some of the greatest targets for viruses and other forms of malware. A file you may download from these programs may be masked to look like what you want but could actually be a Trojan, or a virus could have attached itself with the file and you probably won't even realize it. Both ways you get infected.

Once you are infected you will likely require assistance to become clean.

Our goal here is to help you get cleaned up, and then to stay that way. All the staff here will help you learn to be proactive. Infection is inevitable if you don't remove all P2P programs.

I just saw this and wanted to give you some advice on this, if you were unaware of the risks.

Good Luck

Cbarnard

Sorry to jump in Rshaffer61, Just trying to get rid off dangers and unnecessary resource hogs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Assistance is always welcomed and appreciated Cbarnard.

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
okay first thing i tried was getting rid of frostwire and it seems good now! Hopefully! Thanks u guys for the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

okay first thing i tried was getting rid of frostwire and it seems good now! Hopefully! Thanks u guys for the help!

I'm glad that you have resolved the problem. I would also advise you to take a precautionary trip to the malware removal forum. This could have been the whole problem, but may have only been the tip of the iceberg. It is very possible your computer is infected.

Please click here on malware and spyware cleaning guide follow the instructions there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a NEW topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.

Please reference this thread for the malware expert...

Please let me know how this works for you.

Thank you and Good Luck :)

Cbarnard

stipower

stipower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
k problems starting again! i Just made a topic in the malware forum. I tried doing the test suggested by rshaffer61, i think it could be a problem in my services because when i have Intel® Proset/Wireless Service checked the computer starts up slow when i have it checked off it starts up really fast.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let the malware techs do their magic. Once they are done and have given you a clean bill of health and if the problem continues we can continue here.
Keep us informed and we will monitor this topic.