Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't power on

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which one as the link you sent was to the listing for all barebones. Was there one in particular you were looking at? Send me the link directly to that and I will gladly look at it for you. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 April 2009 - 03:29 PM.

Advertisements

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
This one. Kit

Edited by boscru6469, 25 April 2009 - 10:59 PM.

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I wonder if the CPU has been reseated, and try remove the VGA card and press the power button to see if the other component works.

Sometimes the mobo short prtection will stop the PC from powering on.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech manager
www.pctestcard.com

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That's a good basic no frills system. Maximum memory it will hold is four gigs and that should be fine for what you are using it for. One thing I did notice is that there is no cpu fan included as is the case with most barebones systems. I would suggest that you look Here for a AM2 cpu fan. The rest of the system is there with a hard drive, so i believe that will meet and\or exceed your requirements at this time . Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you or if you need assistance with building the systems.

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 April 2009 - 04:19 AM.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I wonder if the CPU has been reseated, and try remove the VGA card and press the power button to see if the other component works.

Removed CPU and reseated it. Tried it with and without video card. All with the same results

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Removed CPU and reseated it. Tried it with and without video card. All with the same results

Alright, now, let's check if the mobo got broken capacitors.
The broken capacitors normally got rusk brown sign showing the leakage.

Hope this helps!
Bill

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Capacitors seem O.K. I have resolved myself to just do an inexpensive build. Could you point me to a decent set-up for around $200 including shipping. Need a case, MB, CPU, CPU fan, PSU and minimum of 2g RAM. I have 2 IDE optical drives and a SATA HD. Would like something with a 1394 port, 1 PCIe slot and 2 Pci slots. Does not need on board video.

Thanks

Edited by boscru6469, 28 April 2009 - 02:32 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I take it your budget went down alittle?
Your post 32 and my post 34 we had everything for your new system for about 250 with shipping included.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
That one on post 32 is a little over her budget when I add in the cooler.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take a look at this one HERE. With shipping it should be less then 200.00
I'm guessing shipping will be about 35 - 40 dollars
This is a retail cpu so the fan is included.

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 April 2009 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for all the help. I ended getting this Combo a case and a 550W PSU for a total of $199.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good for you. :)
I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Okay, put the whole thing together and booted it up with my XP cd inserted. I did a repair install so information on the HD would not be lost. When the repair completes it reboots, goes through the BIOS steps then starts to load XP. The bar under the windows logo starts scanning across. It does it a couple of times and then the computer reboots. It is then repeated. I tried going into safe mode but it won't as it is still looking to finish the repair install. I tied the recovery console and ran chkdsk /r and fixmbr and still doesn't boot up. Any ideas

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well at his point the only thing i can tell you is to slave her drive to another system and get all her needed data files off. then format her drive and load XP fresh. It sounds like the OS is just completely messed up to the point it can't be repaired now.
We have tried everything I know of to get it going again. You can instead of slaving her drive try Puppy Linux and backup her data from her own system with it. If you would like to try and get her data without taking the system apart again then follow these next steps in order.

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I can't figure out how to explore the drive in Puppy so I can find the files I want to save. i.e. Windows Explorer

Edited by boscru6469, 08 May 2009 - 03:59 PM.