Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista won't start, HP

• Please log in to reply

ckb0118

ckb0118

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
HP pavilion "desktop" a6130n PC
Vista
bought 6/07
400gb hard drive
3072mb system memory

Hi, you guys are so great at fixing problems, I was hoping you could help with this.

My moms HP w/ Vista will not start up. I can get to BIOS, which I tried resetting. I cannot get into safe mode, repair nor restore. Gives me a display with IDE Channels
says that: Hitachi HDT725040VL360: Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your hard drive and have it replaced.
I can then choose to go to BIOS or continue.. when I continue it fails wether I choose to launch system repair or start normally.

The SMART test, quick one fails saying "7 completed with the read element of the test failed" and the extened test passes.

I restored last on day lights saving time, when the computer went haywire. After that it worked perfect until now.

The only think I can think of is that it is a bad hard drive, but just want to make extra sure. Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello ckb0118

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

After reviewing your issue it seems certain that your hard drive is toast. When you get this warning it could take any where between a couple seconds till several weeks before your hard drive will die, but it will happen. If you want I can assist you with trying to recover some of your files.

ckb0118

ckb0118

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I let it sit for a few mins on the bsod, after chosing repair. I think I have done this before and got nothing. It says to select an operating system to repair.. and has nothing to select. If I click load drivers, it says "insert the installation media for the device and click ok to select the driver. The System did not come with disk, the recovery is built in.

ckb0118

ckb0118

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Sure, that would be great. Also if you could tell me where I should get the hard drive from, and will I be able to restore vista on it, since there are no disk? Thanks!!

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I do not think you will be able to recover any thing this way at this point. If you want to recover your files I would say you need to buy a new hard drive and reinstall your operating system. From there we may be able to copy a couple things from your old hard drive to your new one.

[EDIT: Spelling]

Edited by Oreo Collas, 12 April 2009 - 02:58 PM.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Here is a link to a hard drive that should fit your computer It's an upgrade to 500BG (You had 400GB) and is a Western Digital. I have never had any troubles with a Western Digital. This is only a recomendation though.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136149

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
As far as your operating system, where did you get your computer from? You should have gotten a CD with the computer.

ckb0118

ckb0118

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thank you. It is from Best Buy, and all the files came installed on the computer.

Edited by ckb0118, 12 April 2009 - 03:10 PM.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
No. When you buy a new hard drive it will come with absolutly nothing on it. You will need to get ahold of a bootable operating system CD and install your operating system. You will also have to reinstall all of your games, programs, ect. There is no way to transfer the entire operating system over to the new hard drive at this point that I am aware of. Do you have the operating system CD that came with your computer?

ckb0118

ckb0118

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
No, that was supose to be the great thing about the new computer and vista. Should I call HP or ask best buy? I have all the other cds, including the office suite. What a rip off...

Edited by ckb0118, 12 April 2009 - 03:15 PM.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I would recomend contacting them to see if you can get a copy from them at a discounted rate. It's rare, but they may send you a free copy for your computer. If you want I can also try to find a user friendly free operating system for you, but it would be best if you can just get a new operating system CD from HP.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
You'll have to contact HP (1-800-HPINVENT in the US) and request system recovery disks. The last time I requested them they cost less than $20 (US) and arrived in 4 to 5 days.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Thankyou usasma. I'm greatful that I don't have experience in trying to obtain operating systems. I have a rather nice hook up at the college here where I can pickup a copy of the latest OS for $10. Best part is that it's legal. :) Not all are as fortunate as I am though. Hehe.

ckb0118

ckb0118

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
After messing around with the computer a little more, I clicked on the next button (after not choosing an OS). It took me to an area and actually let me restore the pc. Not sure why it failed before. So not sure how long it will last, but the computer works great again! Thanks for being awesome Geeks to go!