Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

White line stuck on desktop

• Please log in to reply

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
There is a weird white line on my desktop which i just noticed, i changed my background to different things, but the white line stays there, and i can't seem to see any programs making that white line in my process explorer.

Posted Image

Anyone got any ideas why thats there, and it can't be a graphics card problem because it shown up on my printscreen and doesn't seem to appear when i have programs over it

Edited by stupidhomer, 12 April 2009 - 04:25 PM.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
This problem is most common in Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Monitor.

One of two issues may be causing the white line:

• Corruption of graphics driver
  • Corruption of Monitor

Process to fix the issue

Happens most often. Reinstalling your graphics driver and making sure it is updated will fix this issue. Do you know how to reinstall your graphics driver?

• Corruption of Monitor

If reinstalling the graphics driver does not work, then a new monitor is suggested.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

This problem is most common in Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Monitor.

One of two issues may be causing the white line:

• Corruption of Monitor

Process to fix the issue

Happens most often. Reinstalling your graphics driver and making sure it is updated will fix this issue. Do you know how to reinstall your graphics driver?

• Corruption of Monitor

If reinstalling the graphics driver does not work, then a new monitor is suggested.

as i said, if it were the graphics card or driver, the white line would be on everything, it only appears on the desktop, not on any applications, and i'm using a laptop LCD, not a CRT monitor

Edited by stupidhomer, 12 April 2009 - 08:53 PM.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Do you have the iWin toolbar?

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Do you have the iWin toolbar?

The iWin toolbar is a form of spyware. I recommend to remove it if you have it!

No i don't have the iWin toolbar, i run avast home edition latest version, and i do not normally install toolbars.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Please do the following:

• Try a different monitor? -- or --
  • Please navigate to here and start a new topic requesting help. Please direct the helper back to this topic to see what questions were asked to solve it.
Thank you!

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 12 April 2009 - 09:12 PM.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Please do the following:

• Try a different monitor? -- or --
  • Please navigate to here and start a new topic requesting help. Please direct the helper back to this topic to see what questions were asked to solve it.
Thank you!

Well, as soon as i plugged the monitor in, even though it wasn't even plugged into a power source, vista detected it then crashed the full computer, so i unplugged it and it came back to life, thank you, when it crashed it changed the screen resolution, and then changed it back when i unplugged it, which looks like it fixed the white line

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I am glad that you have resolved the issue!

Please note that it is not needed to quote a post. Especially when you are posting a reply to the post just above it. Instead of hitting that Quote button, just click Add Reply at the top or bottom of the page. You can also click the Fast Reply located at the bottom of the page.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I knew that, but i'm lazy an i couldn't be bothered to scroll down