Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i have a Seagate Baracuda 300 gb hard drive. i wanted more space, and my friend gave me his that he used. its a 300 gb SATA maxtor Diamondmax 10. i plugged it in, and at first my pc didnt detect it. but then when i thought it did, my computer froze up at the splash screen. i removed it, and now, unless i know why its not being recognized, its just gonna gain dust. all the HD's that my friend has given me he said "worked" so i dont know why this isnt working. any help would be great
peace

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you putting it in attached to the same ribbon as the main drive?
If so then you need to set some jumpers on the drives to show a master and a slave
If not then there may be a jumper that is placed wrong on the new(old) drive

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
um well for one, this is sata, not IDE. so every thing has its own seperate ribbon. jumpers arent used as well

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok what if anything was on the drive before? Since you didn't mention anything being on the drive before I'm taking it then the friend formatted it before giving it to you.

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 April 2009 - 12:09 AM.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
ya im pretty sure he did

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does bios see the drive on bootup? Try going into bios and see if it identifies the drive.
I may not reply back but another member or Tech Staff may drop in and offer further assistance. I will be back in about 5 hours to continue.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
no the bios didnt see the drive at startup which is puzzling....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If bios is not identifying the drive then the drive may be having issues. How long since your friend has used the drive?
Can you try it in another system to double check it?
Let me know your findings

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i havent had that much time this week, but when i have the time to try the HD in our family PC, ill let you know the results.
peace

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Can you give your full computer configuration?
What is your motherboard model number?