Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Help...

• Please log in to reply

Joe Gran

Joe Gran

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
This is an HP Laptop:
Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80GHz)
Memory 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (250GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Graphics card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Display 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
Primary DVD/CD drive Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
Personalization Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)
Networking Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner w/remote control
Keyboard Full Size Backlit Keyboard
Primary battery 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity software No Productivity Software

Price is:
$1,914.99. I need a laptop, not a desktop. Should i go quad core? the 2ghz quad core is under $2,000. I Was looking to spend $1500, but $2,000 is fine.
What I'll be using the computer is for music, a lot of videos, and i would like a fast computer just in case i wanted to play some games here and there. The main question is this computer good speed wise?THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Edited by Joe Gran, 13 April 2009 - 02:25 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Total comes to $1769. I did the customize thing according to everything you have told me. I don't know if you can access the link, but I'll try. Click Here And, Here is the copy and pasted "Review and Buy" Section. This is almost the same computer you have listed, but I went through and chose carefully to see what fits what you have described to me in the chat room, and left things out that you don't need. (In my opinion)

Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (64-bit) edit
Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66 GHz) This is a step down from the processor you had picked out, I don't think you would even notice a difference.
Memory FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) - For 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics edit Plenty of RAM, Graphics Card is nice too if needed.
Hard drive 640GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (320GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection Went bigger on the Hard Drive, music and movies take space quick
Graphics card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - For DDR2 Memory edit
Display 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p) Be prepared, this laptop will be big. Get a ruler out and look at 18.4" and then add an inch or inch and a half for the edges of the lap top(20 inches). That is a big laptop! LOL
Primary DVD/CD drive Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer Plays Blu-Rays, does not Burn them
Personalization Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid) I don't even know what this is.
Networking Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card Wi-Fi, that is a must in today's society
TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner w/remote control Did not choose to have a tuner card or whatever, unneeded in my opinion
Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard Did not choose a backlit keyboard-Reason is: I think it would be rather annoying while watching movies like you say he is going to, I also think it could possibly be annoying while messing around on the computer(music, internet, etc.) It's just a whistle and bell-if you need to see the keyboard in the dark, buy a cheap laptop light to mount from the top of the screen.
Primary battery 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
Productivity software No Productivity Software Did not pick any software, I think there is too much freeware out there that will do anyone just fine. Take a look at geekstogo's freeware topic, and there free Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware link you can always start a new topic if you are looking for something in particular and ask if anyone knows of a free program. Also, take a look at my signature for what I recommend on security, and secure web browsing, an Office package, email, etc.

Screen comes 16:9 Ratio (widescreen) and can go up to a awesome resolution of 1920x1080p. Any other questions?

Joe Gran

Joe Gran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
nope, you answered them all, thank you for your help and your time.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Glad I could help, good luck in your decision.