Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet connection

• Please log in to reply

tha dj

tha dj

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi everyone!

I'm here to ask about a problem I had today and I can't understand.
I have a laptop wich connects to a wireless adsl modem but since yeterday I can't get no connection.
the weird thing is that my laptop recognize others available connections from my neighbords, which I guess it means its wireless device is working fine. And the modem as well is working because if I connect my laptop to it with a lan cable I can use internet.
what seems to be unstable is just the wireless device of the modem.

Do you think there's a simple way to fix this or do I need a new modem?
The fact is that it did the same thing a month ago or so and then after a week it began to work again as usual.. so I'm a little confused.

thanks to everryone who's willing to help :)

michel

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,

My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be of some assistance to you.

Please keep in mind this is not our job and I'm not here 24\7. It can take a little bit of time for me to reply back to you, if it has been more than 48hrs since a reply, please PM me and I will be with you as soon as possible.

With that said lets take a look and get this problem taken care of.

I'm here to ask about a problem I had today and I can't understand.
I have a laptop which connects to a wireless adsl modem but since yesterday I can't get no connection.
the weird thing is that my laptop recognize others available connections from my neighbor's, which I guess it means its wireless device is working fine. And the modem as well is working because if I connect my laptop to it with a lan cable I can use internet.
what seems to be unstable is just the wireless device of the modem.

Its ok if you don't know we will be happy to help you, that said

Are you able to see your wireless network?

Please:

• 1. Click on Start--> Settings --> Control Panel -->System to open the System Control Panel Window.
  • 2. Click on the Hardware tab.
  • 3. Click on the Device Manager button to open the Device Manager
  • 4. Scroll down to network devices do you see any red or yellow question marks or exclamation points?

Do you think there's a simple way to fix this or do I need a new modem?

Not sure yet, we need to figure out a couple things before this can be determined

The fact is that it did the same thing a month ago or so and then after a week it began to work again as usual.. so I'm a little confused.

I'm not sure why it stopped working and then started but the problem could be the adsl modem, we just have to figure out which one is at fault...

Are you able to log on to a friends/neighbors network with your computer?(with their permission of course)

If you are able to connect to another network. Then we know that your device is properly working...

At this point it would be either settings on your computer, or the modem.

Let me know how this works, and I will figure out the path to take

Good luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 15 April 2009 - 07:14 AM.

tha dj

tha dj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi CBernard,
thanks for helping!

Please:

* 1. Click on Start--> Settings --> Control Panel -->System to open the System Control Panel Window.
* 2. Click on the Hardware tab.
* 3. Click on the Device Manager button to open the Device Manager
* 4. Scroll down to network devices do you see any red or yellow question marks or exclamation points?

I checked and everything's fine there. I found no question marks or punctuation what so ever :)
plus yesterday night it connected, pretty slowly but it was working. today instead I'm in the same old situation.

Are you able to log on to a friends/neighbors network with your computer?(with their permission of course)

If you are able to connect to another network. Then we know that your device is properly working...

well, I can't connect to those networks coz I don't have their passwords and they need wpa keys, but I can see them while instead I can't see my network. therefore I think my laptop is working fine and the problem is in the modem. which by the way is working otherwise then wireless and now I'm connected through Lan cable.

I hope these infos are useful. Unfortunately I couldn't do much more right now.

Let me know what else I can do and if you have more suggestions :)

thanks!

Michel

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

well, I can't connect to those networks coz I don't have their passwords and they need wpa keys, but I can see them while instead I can't see my network. therefore I think my laptop is working fine and the problem is in the modem. which by the way is working otherwise then wireless and now I'm connected through Lan cable.

Well we might be on to something here...

On your next reply can I please have the information on the brand and model of the modem that you are using. Also who is your service provider?

Have you called them to help you with your problem? If you haven't they could help you faster over the phone, because they know the exact steps to solve this problem for their hardware. We can figure this out here it will just take longer.

Regardless of what brand it is, it sounds like the modem needs to be reset to do this:

shutdown your computer

unplug the modem (from the power in the wall, if there is a battery please remove it.)

if you have a router in between the computer and the modem please unplug it.

wait 30 sec to 1 min. plug the modem back in along with the battery, wait for all lights to go "active"

if you have a router please wait for the above steps to complete before you plug it in

after the router has booted up please boot up your computer

Are you able to see your wireless network?

If so please try to connect...

Please let me know how this works, and get me that information in your next reply

Thank you and good luck

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard