Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Installing Arachnophilia

• Please log in to reply

lorrizz

lorrizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yes, I've had the problem with IE for a long time now, but Java does work with FF.

Advertisements

lorrizz

lorrizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I found this http://forums.sun.co...D...0&tstart=-1 on the sun forums, but the link only talks about xp, so I'm not sure about it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Only talks about XP?
Are you not running XP?

IE is the problem. I will have to research that and see what I can find. What version of IE are you using?

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 April 2009 - 02:55 PM.

lorrizz

lorrizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No, I am on Vista, I updated to 8 yesterday but it didn't work on 7 either. It can't just be IE tho because of the jar files not opening.

Edited by lorrizz, 14 April 2009 - 03:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My suggestion is contact the site and ask them if the program has any issues with Vista. We have updated Java and that didn't help
We have checked the drives and no problem there
We have checked windows and no problem there.
We can check the memory but I do not personally think it is a issue.
I can only believe there is a issue with the program and Vista.
The only thing that hasn't been run is the sfc /scannow

lorrizz

lorrizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I did run the sfc/scannow I posted the log.
Others have this on Vista and it runs fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thats right I'm sorry. At this point there has to be a problem with the install. Everything else on the system is checking out ok. Firefox works on java sites. I have had you uninstall all older versions of java to take out any possibilities of conflict.
Short of uninstalling IE back to original and then upgrading it again there is no reason for it acting the way it does.
The only other possibility now is some type of browser hijack on IE. If you want then you can have your system gone through by a malware tech and make sure that is not the issue. If you choose to do that then

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

lorrizz

lorrizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ok thank you

lorrizz

lorrizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I did some more searching and found that I do not have some registry entries that should be there for java.
I do not have either of these

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jar

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command

Do you think that is the problem? If so, how do I go about getting these added?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
you could try and reinstall java again.

Link 1 or Link 2

Advertisements

lorrizz

lorrizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I reinstalled again and neither of those are showing up in the registry, what could cause that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure why they would not show up. Can you provide link to where you found this information.
I am doing some research on it also and will let oyu know what I find

I did notice that Jar files should be able to be opened by any unzip program like winrar or winzip
If you right click on the file and open with>>point to winrar or winzip try that

Now I found this, but before you do this please download Erunt from Here and run it. This will make a clean backup of your registry that you can replace if something goes wrong.

First, create a text file, jar.reg with content simlar to this (Name this so that you can remember in case it needs to be removed):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jar]
@="jarfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile]
@="Executable Jar File"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\JavaSoft\\JRE\\1.3.1\\bin\\javaw.exe -jar %1"

(You could change the %1 to %L if there are short/long filename problems. Also, although you see both '\' and '\\' used above, rest assured it is correct.)

Now all you have to do is import that reg file

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 April 2009 - 08:25 AM.

lorrizz

lorrizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I found it here
http://www.computing...iles/16276.html

The only other thing I can think of is that at one point I had Vundo, but that's been long cleaned up and I just did a scan last week and it was clean, but could some of the things I used to remove Vundo blocked or is keeping Java from installing correctly?

Yes, jar files can open with winzip and winrar, but this is a jar executable file, and should be able to just run

Edited by lorrizz, 15 April 2009 - 08:18 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is very possible that vundo could have trashed some entries in your registry or parrt of the cleaning procedure could have done the same. That being said did you remove vundo on your own or did you have assistance by Malware staff to do this.
What Av are you using now
What Spyware are you using now
what malware are you using now
what firewall are you using now

Please reply back with information

lorrizz

lorrizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I had help from the staff here to remove vundo.
Right now I am running AVG for everything, but just switched to it a couple of weeks ago, before that I had the McAfee security suite.

I did shut the firewall down before I reinstalled Java this last time and there was no change.