Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mathematics

• Please log in to reply

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Most folks ponder "The meaning of it all" at some point in their life.

Occasionally there comes an eloquent presentation from some discipline or another (math, physics, philosophy, biology, Law, history, social science) that provides insight into how a particular *ology can lend description to the wonders of it all.
In the process, the benefits and foibles of using that particular discipline are displayed in the pursuit of application and understanding.

One particularly enjoyable treatise on Physics may be interesting to you.

The Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics
Gary Zukav (<-- author is neither a Mathematician nor Physicist but can knit an enlightening fabric with words)

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Wow Thanks!

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
:)

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Haha. I always found it funny how ZERO was such a hard number to figure out.

"Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" by Charles Seife

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Hah. Zero is, well, an enigma.

Seriously (wow, I just had to type that three times to spell it right) though, math is awesome :)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

math is awesome :)

[whining]My entire family and everyone else I know doesn't care for, or HATES math. Nor do they care much about computers, just as long as it will play their games and "do internet" they are happy.[/whining]

Edited by Cold Titanium, 10 June 2009 - 02:15 PM.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Everyone in my family has or is going for degrees in the biology/chemistry field.. Except me.

I'm a mathie :)

Well Math/CS major to be more specific, but it's still pretty crazy I'm the only one in my family interested in math.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Everyone in my family has or is going for degrees in the biology/chemistry field.. Except me.

Well Math/CS major to be more specific, but it's still pretty crazy I'm the only one in my family interested in math.

Heh,one of my closest friends was a Physics/CS major initially, then realized with 3 or so classes he would have a major in math as well. So he ended up majoring in Phyics/CS/Math and graduated with a 4.0 (where an A or A+ = 4.0, A- = 3.75 or something like that). Now he works for microsoft.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

I'd have never guessed, your avatar gives no clue. :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
<offtopic>Pi is awesome! I can memorize 41 digits :)</offtopic>

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

Which by the way, is the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Kidding :) I'm rusty on Pi period. Although I do enjoy apple pie.

Edited by Cold Titanium, 16 June 2009 - 08:42 PM.

nates_tips

nates_tips

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I'm really good with pie.

Eating that is. :)

No but really, I loved π. It was my only favorite problem in the whole book, seriously!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Haha. I always found it funny how ZERO was such a hard number to figure out.

[attachment=31362:a_61.jpg]

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
It's true, if you try dividing by zero the center of the Earth becomes a black hole :)

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
For starters, you have good teachers. It is impossible to understand without knowing. I mean, just giving strategies how to pass is bad. Let's face it, if I explain how to derive simple polynomials to a third grader; honestly, he will probably do it better then me. At the same time, sometimes you have to do hundreds of examples until the train though begins to run smoothly.
It's like about that question with negative numbers. I mean, if you really think about it - they don't exist! People were having a hard time to accept something "negative" until like 14th century. With modern economy, we are all pretty much used to something of a "negative" quantity. Same applies with complex numbers. I mean, in my domain, we use them all the time; they make electrical engineers life so much easier. It becomes trivial, so I can focus on other things. I mean, if you would stop and focus on the fact that root of two doesn't exist every time you solve a quadratic - you wouldn't get far.

PS Hm... I don't know to be honest. I am pretty sure there is something fishy about this whole Pi idea... seems a bit artificial to me. Nature almost never creates perfect circles... maybe because too many people talk about it? My dentist seem to know a bit more, so he always starts by Pi, then mentions the golden ration and finishes with complex numbers and how it is all bizarre... the conversation typically ends with something like: "e is the way to go if you ask me."

Edited by Roman Pope, 28 June 2009 - 12:37 AM.