Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage 100% and Internet connects only sometimes in IE? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is a known AVG problem and they now have an uninstaller which should fix that and remove it
LINK You need the top file

Advertisements

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Okay, that scan took a very long time. However, it is done and here is the results below. Now should I try and extract my Microsoft Office Portable and see if Avast detect a threat as well?

06/06/2009 11:27
Scan of all local drives

File C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections\5577497\Program\Interop.SHDocVw.dll is infected by Win32:Adware-gen [Adw], Moved to chest
File C:\System Volume Information\_restore{00EFF98B-5705-4D9A-BA78-7681A60AFB54}\RP32\A0008932.dll is infected by Win32:Adware-gen [Adw], Moved to chest
Number of searched folders: 6443
Number of tested files: 420987
Number of infected files: 2

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Place the USB drive in your system but do not open it
Open windows explorer and navigate to the USB drive and right click
Select @ Scan

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Well it scanned but it eventually just closed by itself. I scanned the USB drive and it just closed itself and then I went to the Rar file for Office Portable that's on my desktop and it just closed like it did with the USB drive. What should I do?

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I know this sounds preliminary, however I think it was something with AVG that was affecting my IE. It can start back acting up but just from the looks of it I believe something with AVG maybe it's Firewall affected it. Seems good as of now though. What should I do about the Office Portable?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If it just closed then it detected nothing :)

Looks like you may be good to go - but run for 24 hours and let me know :)

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Okay, will do!

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
well the 100% cpu usage still is a factor when I use Excel. However, the IE problems looks as though it's fixed when I got rid of AVG. I am not sure what's the problem with Excel. It's pissing me off terribly though

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Another thing is I use celtx to write scripts and such. However, I had a document with celtx that I backed up. Now upon installing celtx back onto my system and putting the backup file back on my computer along with excel documents I can't make the file just open with the desired programs. I was able to do 'open with' and make it always with word documents but with my celtx documents it says is not a valid win 32 application and with Excel I browse for the Excel.exe but it never shows in the list after clicking it. What's wrong?

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
EssexBoy I think I know what the problem was. Well with my IE it had to be the Firewall or something with AVG. However, with the 100% cpu usage I am thinking it was a bad Excel directory or something like that, that I read on Microsoft website.

I am not sure exactly what the problem was but it was something about a bad .exe or something like that with just Excel. I know it has to be an Excel problem because when I tried to use the Open With and select Excel it won't do it but other apps on Office Portable would work

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Can you download/locate a fresh copy of excell and wipe the old one ?

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
It's not that the Excel is corrupt or anything I read on Microsoft it's a bad path or directory or something like that. I scanned with Avast and nothing was detected. I just deleted the Excel. I am not in real need of Excel anymore since I use Google Spreadsheet so I will be good as of now. I am just happy I finally was able to fix the problems thanks to you recommending me remove AVG and get Avast.

On another note: I have my backup computer its Vista. However, I want to do a destructive recovery on the computer but there isn't any F10 or F11 option which brings it up. I was wondering if my computer don't have the recovery console but it didn't come with CDs because the software was pre-installed would I still be able to do a recovery? I want to wipe it out completely like I did this computer and maybe hopefully get XP rather than Vista but Vista would do.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
What is the make and model of the Vista system ?

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
That I have no idea of!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is it a Dell - Acer or HP the model number should be in the documentation or on the computer somewhere