Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downloading ie8

• Please log in to reply

ivansmagic

ivansmagic

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I will try to describe this the best I can. I am using xp with sp3 and previously had ie7.
Yesterday, I tried to download ie8 but the download was interupted by my daughter pressing buttons on the keyboard.

Now I cant open ie at all. It tries to open but the window just dissapears.

I can still connect to the internet from the same computer and browse websites etc. through AOL.

I contated AOL for assistance and they told me IE8 is not compatible with the AOL software and it was a simple case of reinstalling IE7 and all would be fine.

I tried to do this but when I went to the microsoft website I could get as far as the download button, click it and nothing would happen. I have tried this several times. I have also tried to restore the computer back to before the time I tried to install IE8 but this is not helping.

I phoned AOL again who told me it was not an AOL problem as I was able to do everythinge else normally.

I do have an icon in the system tray stating that Local Area 2 connection has limited or no connectivity (4.4 mpbs ) and also cant open the internet options icon in the control panel.

Any assistance you could give me in repairing this would be much appreciated.

ps I did download from the microsoft website so i would doubt I have picked up any nasties.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
If you are not able to un-install Internet Explorer through add/remove program. Try to un-install it with "Revo" uninstaller tool:
http://www.revounins...e_download.html