Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I recover "Power options"?

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have always set my XP Home Power options to stop the HD and monitor after 10 mins, etc etc.

My HP Pavilion came with Intervideo Home Theatre pre-installed (Dog of a program) and every so often the Power options would change, all by themselves, to "Intervideo home Theatre". I would re-set them to "Power saving" and after a few days the settings would change back again.

I could never set up a new profle - the message "Two or more settings are incompatible" (or suchlike) would stop me.

Now I find that the power settings window is empty! There are no options in the window or in the dropdown menu, and the monitor etc just stay working 24/7, except that I hibernate at night.

Is there any way of regaining the options short of reinstalling Windoze?

XP Home, Pentium 3.2 GHz dual core, 2.5GB RAM

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you ever try to disable or uninstall Intervideo Home Theatre...

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

did you ever try to disable or uninstall Intervideo Home Theatre...

Thanks for the reply: yes, I uninstalled IHT several times. The weird thing now is that the Power options window has no "set" option, nor are there any options offered in the drop-down menu. Short of doing a windoze recovery I can't see any way of reinstating them.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you may find your fix here but...I STRONGLY advise you to BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY before modifying the registry...how to is here

or you may have to repair xp...lowdown is here

or use SFC /SCANNOW
the downside to the last 2 options is you will have to get ALL the updates again with the possible issues associated with getting that many updates causing other issues...

if you choose the last option...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Edited by happyrock, 16 April 2009 - 07:44 AM.