Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Computer 3 & 4 green, power comes on but monitor doesn't

• Please log in to reply

playgroundlove

playgroundlove

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, please help.

I'm afraid this started with a blue screen message which I didn't bother to copy down and now can't recall what it said.

I shut down the computer as it said the usual 'if this is the first time this message has appeared, shut down and reboot'.

When I tried to power up the computer again, it came on, but the monitor stayed on 'stand by' mode, and numbers 3 and 4 on the Dell hard drive were lit up green. (NOT flashing).

Can anyone please tell me what is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Edited by playgroundlove, 14 April 2009 - 06:07 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
playgroundlove,

Sounds like that you are having a issue with your memory. Have you talked with Dell about this?

playgroundlove

playgroundlove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, because my warranty is out of date, and it would involve long, costly phone calls I'm sure!

Could it be that the memory has come loose? My computer has been really noisy in the last few months, and last year, when I moved flats, I think the memory became dislodged and someone came round to fit it back again. Perhaps it has happened again?

Can anyone please talk me through how to ensure everything is in place? I'm good when it comes to software, but not hardware.

Thanks.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We sure can what is the make and model number of your Dell system?

playgroundlove

playgroundlove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, tuxmaster. It's a Dell Dimension 3100.