Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help save my cat from "Kitmo"

• Please log in to reply

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
OK, I woke up yesterday morning and turned on my computer to check my email. Just about then I noticed this little pile of papers on the floor that looked like the alignment test print in about 15 copies. After my coffee sank in, I went to gather up the papers and realized it was actually 15 pages worth of RAM dump from my printer. My cat loves to sit on my printer, turn it on and play with the pages as they come shooting out. She's very good at acting as if she has no idea what all those little buttons are for and as if she surely doesn't have a clue about what's causing those sheets of paper to shoot out while she's sitting on the printer.

This, however, is the first time she's ever produced a RAM dump. I've pushed all the buttons and nothing gives me a RAM dump. Can't find anything on RAM dump in the manual. Didn't find anything with a google search. I've withheld wet food for two days now and my little darling still refuses to "talk" or otherwise give up her secret. I'm thinking about stepping up the torture, establishing my own little kitty gitmo (kitmo) until she squeals. Maybe I'll take away the cat tree so she has nowhere to run when the dog gets after her. JK, of course but, I'm baffled! Anybody have any idea how she did that? :)

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I have been kicking this RAM dump thing around for a few days now. I can’t produce it with my printer, so I think your only chance of solving this mystery is to set up some covert surveillance equipment on the printer and hope the cat does it again :)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If your computer was off while kitty did her thing, I can't see how a printer would produce a RAM dump unless it was already in the print queue? If she danced on the keyboard while the computer was on, it's hard telling what she did, but you may want to get into the habit of winkey+L when you walk away.

If she's used to being on the computer while you are sleeping or away. she might have been innocently checking her stock portfolio or watching kitty pron, who knows? Withholding wet cat food is one way to get her to spill the beans, but maybe you need to knock her offline. Since she is an advanced user, GeekU might be an option, just to keep her on the straight and narrow path. Look her in the eye and tell her, "You may be able to tune a piano, but you can't tunafish." Cats hate to look foolish. Let her think that one over for a few days. Good luck.
Johanna

Edited by Johanna, 23 April 2009 - 10:30 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
:)

Johanna, that was excellent.

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I can't see how a printer would produce a RAM dump unless it was already in the print queue?

Actually, previous to this incident, an old receipt I'd printed from an online purchase was apparently stuck somewhere in the printer (in print buffer/ram???) because she'd get up there and go to pushin' buttons and that old receipt would shoot out! (????)

I have this question posted on two printer tech forums and between 36 views it appears that no one has been able to figure this one out!

laughing.gif

Johanna, that was excellent.

Ditto! rofl!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it by chance a multifunction printer? like...printer scanner combo type deal? what's the make/model?

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

is it by chance a multifunction printer? like...printer scanner combo type deal? what's the make/model?

Why yes, it is... printer/scanner/fax Lexmark x2500.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
mutlifunction printers usually have some form of internal storage (flash or actual hard drives)....this is how they copy things, scan, and fax....it makes a copy of something, saves it locally, then does something with it (print or fax).....they also store the print jobs in memory so that they can print multiple copies without having to ask the computer what they were printing over and over...

pretty much all printer/copier devices have SOME kind of service mode....and usually one of the functions in service mode is to do a "stored print" or memory dumps ...or any number of "print from internal memory" options.....your cat probably somehow got into service mode on the printer...

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

pretty much all printer/copier devices have SOME kind of service mode....and usually one of the functions in service mode is to do a "stored print" or memory dumps ...or any number of "print from internal memory" options.....your cat probably somehow got into service mode on the printer...

Ah! So, she was just servicing the printer! Well, I guess getting into service mode is probably a technician's trade secret or something. I guess that's why kitty wouldn't talk. Ms. kitty came from the shelter. No one there told me she had Lexmark training! Hmmm... Well, I'm glad she doesn't seem to be able to work the phone as well as she does the printer. 'Fraid she might call the SPCA on me or something (Cat's really hate waterboarding!). Guess it's time to shut down Kitmo.

Thanx dsenette, that was interesting to know.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:) I'm glad you pretty well figured out the issue

This thread was a hilarious read!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, Kat - clearly you need to remember to document your work next time :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Ah! So, she was just servicing the printer! Well, I guess getting into service mode is probably a technician's trade secret or something. I guess that's why kitty wouldn't talk. Ms. kitty came from the shelter. No one there told me she had Lexmark training! Hmmm... Well, I'm glad she doesn't seem to be able to work the phone as well as she does the printer. 'Fraid she might call the SPCA on me or something (Cat's really hate waterboarding!). Guess it's time to shut down Kitmo.

Thanx dsenette, that was interesting to know.

How many stitches do you think the doctor would have to give you if you tried to waterboard a cat? :)

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

How many stitches do you think the doctor would have to give you if you tried to waterboard a cat?

:)