Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC problems

• Please log in to reply

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ok good, because my other computer doenst have an agp slot and is integrated graphics. also pci-express cards, are they inserted in a normal pci slot?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No they're not, thats why you can't use them unless you have a mobo which supports PCI-E

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
oh ok, now about the jumper, what if it doesnt work? are there anymore solutions in fixing it?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah theres plenty of things to try but you need to eliminate the obvious first. Clearing the bios with that jumper simply resets the bios back to factory (default) values. This can help eliminate any erroneous settings & restores the settings most likely to allow the system to boot.

If the only thing you touched is the video card, then it is likely that the video card just hasn't been put back in correctly. You may need to reseat it several times before it works. (Obviously, don't be tempted to jiggle it about whilst the systems switched on!).

If it turns out to be more complicated than just a badly seated agp card, then theres plenty of other stuff to try. However, I'm going to bed shortly (its 1.40AM other here) so unless someone else takes over from me & helps you, then you may have to wait until tomorrow to get the system back up & running!

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ok well im going to try to do the jumper method, if it doesnt work, then i'll come back to tomorow for more help, thank you!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome.
Let me know what happens. I'll catch up with you again tomorrow

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ok i tried the jumper switching left to right, wont work, i tried inserting the video card over and over again, still wont work... is it the mobo problem or the video card... it aint my monitor for sure

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hard to say which at the moment. Does this mobo also have an integrated video card on it? If so, try removing the agp & connecting the monitor to the integrated one.

If it doesn't have one or if that doesn't work, then do the following :

1. wear a static strap to protect your hardware from static damage.

2. Unplug the PSU power cable, then disconnect the internal ATX connector from the PSU to the mobo.

3. Remove all your PCI cards but remember which slot they each came out of. Place them somewhere safe, preferably in static bags. Do not put them on carpet etc as static will damage them

4. Unplug all the drive cables (hard drive, CD/DVD & floppy). Disconnect at the mobo end not the drive end & unplug all the power connections to the drives.

5. Remove any external devices eg USB, printer, scanner, modem/network cables etc. Leave only the keyboard & monitor attached.

6.Clear the bios using the jumper again (its good practise to do this after removing hardware from the mobo)

7. Reconnect the ATX power connector to the mobo, reconnect the PSU power lead & try to start the system up.

Let me know what happens.

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
i think i tried all of those, and it seems that its loading normally like before but the screen is still black.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Does the system beep now, like it used to before you had the problem?
Do you hear the hard drive spin up at all?

Advertisements

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
no beeping noise still, the fan works, and the hard drive um not sure, was i suppose to reconnect everything?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No, sorry, I forgot I told you to disconnect everything.
When you said it's loading normally, like before, except for the screen, what is it doing now that it didn't do before you followed my instructions?

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
k this is what happened, I did what you told me to do except some where confusing or I didn't understand, then when I turned it on, it was pretty much the same as before. Black screen but I think something is loading.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What do you mean by 'something is loading'?

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
i think its loading windows like all computers do. It's just the screen is black. I could be wrong about the loading windows thing, but it seems like it.