Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about designing custom program

• Please log in to reply

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey everybody,

Let me just say I don't know anything about how to develop software...

I build computers and help people with their computers here in the forum and at home...

I have found that most people don't have or want to spend the time maintaining their computer.

I try to make it easier for everybody when I work on their computer to do this.

I make a folder on the desktop and I will name it Antivirus and malware tools for example. Then I place all the related tools in that folder. I usually provide instructions in a saved notepad file for each program(as most of the people I help are lucky to turn the computer on:) )

I have found that they still don't perform the updates and scans necessary. Even though everything is in one place and they have directions... I know that some software can be set to auto update and scan but not all. Plus the computer needs to be on for that to happen.

So my question:

Can a program be developed that can with the "doubleclick" of the mouse on a single icon start up each program one

at a time(update it and perform its scans) and then start the next one to completion?

Again I don't know anything about software, but I believe it can be done. I just thought this would be very good for those people (my dad) :) lol

Any thoughts, I would love to hear them, and I would love to learn how if someone can teach!!!

Cbarnard

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
cbarnard,

In order for one program to control another you would need to have some sort of a command line interface or API. Otherwise it is extremely hard to meet your requirements.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey Tuxmaster,

If a command line interface, or an API were used would this be possible...
[size"4"]Cbarnard[/size]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

In order for one program to control another you would need to have some sort of a command line interface or API. Otherwise it is extremely hard to meet your requirements.

yeah...depending on the software...if it's got a command line interface (some do) you could just create a batch that runs the software and updates it.....other than that you would just be able to make something that would start the programs up and then the user would be responsible from there...

which brings up the main point of your problem.....if the user is unwilling/incapable to do this on their own (open the program and let it update etc...) then what makes you think they'd ever click that program to do it automatically?

i think this is a point where you've just got to set it up to the best of your ability...give them all the tools and tell them how to use them...if they don't use them...you're not to blame because you gave them the tools and the knowledge

cbarnard

cbarnard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey thanks for the replies

which brings up the main point of your problem.....if the user is unwilling/incapable to do this on their own (open the program and let it update etc...) then what makes you think they'd ever click that program to do it automatically?

This was one of my first thoughts (I also maintain it via remote myself sometimes, and this would make my life easier)

i think this is a point where you've just got to set it up to the best of your ability...give them all the tools and tell them how to use them...if they don't use them...you're not to blame because you gave them the tools and the knowledge

I know I scolded my dad, his reply was that his work computer takes and wastes all of his time and he doesn't want to sit in front of another one just to have the same results... Which is why I try to maintain it..

yeah...depending on the software...if it's got a command line interface (some do) you could just create a batch that runs the software and updates it.....other than that you would just be able to make something that would start the programs up and then the user would be responsible from there...

I don't really even know where to begin with this. Is there software developed to work with that I would just have to tell it what to do, or would I need to work from the ground up? I'm familiar with command lines, just not API

Thank you

Cbarnard

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I don't really even know where to begin with this. Is there software developed to work with that I would just have to tell it what to do, or would I need to work from the ground up? I'm familiar with command lines, just not API

well this part depends on the target software (like the AV you want to update or run)...

AVG (and many other AVs) have command line options where you can send the AV executable a set of arguments to make it do things like scan a folder....looking through their documentation i don't see a command switch to make it update (though i assume it's because there's the option to autoupdate within the program GUI itself)

without the target program having some form of command line interoperability (or easily available known API hooks) it's difficult to automate things on your own (especially when the programmers of these items have done the task of automation for you)....

cbarnard

cbarnard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Well guys thank you for your replies:

I'm going to drop this for now... Maybe I will work on it some time down the road

Thank you very much...

Cbarnard