Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting laptop to plasma TV

• Please log in to reply

Fail

Fail

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a laptop connected to a plasma TV using a DVI-D to HDMI cable. Everything is connected correctly, the TV is on the right HDMI channel and the laptop detects that it is connected to a Panasonic TV, but there is absolutely no picture. I have tried multiple settings in the display settings and the nvidia settings but nothing happens whether it is set to clone (display identical image to laptop screen) or dualview. The only time that I get even remotely close to a picture is when I alter the resolution of the TV display, at which point the TV screen will mostly flash bright red for a second and then go completely black again.

I have also tried pressing Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 to try and switch the display to the TV, as I saw other people being advised to do that - with F5 nothing happens and with F6 the laptop screen goes black until I press it again.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello Fail

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

First of all, I want you to set your resolution to the lowest setting. (Should be 800x600)

Then hit Fn+F6. Let it sit for a while. I know my plasma TV takes several seconds to display the picture after it recieves the signal. If you still get no picture after one minute then please let me know.

Fail

Fail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Oreo Collas

I managed to achieve a picture a few minutes before your post - as you suggested it was to do with the resolution, and also the signal format. In Dualview mode (using the TV as a second monitor) I had to set the resolution of the TV to the lowest possible, 720x576, and the signal format to 576p. All other settings result in no picture. In Clone mode, nothing is displayed because the options to adjust the resolution and signal format are not available in that mode.

This is disappointing because the laptop has a big sticker saying it does HD, the TV is HD and I am using an HDMI cable. The television manual says that it supports anything up to 1080i or 1080p and 1024x768 resolution (although is detected by my laptop as having a much higher native resolution than that). Is there any way I can get proper HD?

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
It's possible that your TV does not support this with computers. What type of TV do you have?

Fail

Fail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Panasonic Viera, 42 inch, model number TH-42PX80BA. It does say that it doesn't work with all computers but I assumed this was just them trying to cover all their bases so they don't get complaints from PC users.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Might want to call them and see what settings you should be able to use on it. My guess is that they only allow it to work like that just so they can advertise that it works with computers.

Mytheroo

Mytheroo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
if your plasma is widescreen but has a native resolution of 1024x768 (like mine) then your TV has rectangular pixels and to get a proper aspect ratio you'll need to output 1280x768 from the pc and have the TV adjust itself