Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need To Get Permissions

• Please log in to reply

GLSmyth

GLSmyth

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I had to reinstall Windows XP and the last thing that is needed is to give myself permissions to get to our home network. I have Internet access, but when using Windows Explorer to navigate to Microsoft Windows Network I can see the network (it is called SMYTHHOUSE), but clicking on it gives me the message:

"Smythhouse is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

This means that I cannot install the software to back up the computers at the house.

How do I give myself permissions to my computer?

Thanks -

george

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you gone back through and run the network setup wizard to rejoin the workgroup like you did when you first set up the network?

Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

GLSmyth

GLSmyth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I had not but went ahead and ran the Wizard. Now I have permissions, but do not see any computers - even my own.

Any ideas?

Cheers -

george

GLSmyth

GLSmyth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I'm not sure how it happened, but it now looks like there are two workgroups (I sure do not remember adding the other one) and I can see my computer on one and the other computer on the other. It should now just be a matter of changing the "rougue" workgroup to conform to the other and I should be good to go. Thank you for your help.

Cheers -

george

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
during the wizard you may have not put the same workgroup name as the other computers

GLSmyth

GLSmyth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Could be that I mistyped, I still seek perfection. <g>

Cheers -

george

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader