Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

format c

• Please log in to reply

zandre

zandre

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Will format c get rid of a virus? If so, could someone post the procedure on how to format c and then reinstall windows xp? I have all of the data I need from the hard drive.

zandre

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information Have you been through the Malware forum to get assistance with removing the infection? They may be able to save you from formatting and reinstalling everything.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 April 2009 - 06:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see you have 5 topics open on this subject. You just posted in the waiting room for help with the malware that was being diagnosed by Essexboy.

Topic 1 started April 6

Topic 2 started April 12

Topic 3 started April 8

Topic 4 post in Waiting Room today

And now this topic,
Which would you like to continue?

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yes, I am in a pinch, I need to have this machine working by friday. Ijust want to format c it and reinstall and be done with it if that is possible

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I would like to continue which ever one can help me fix the machine the fastest.

thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a genuine WMicrosoft Win Xp cd with a registration key?

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I don't think I have the registration key, but it is the original installation cd from the original owner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without that key you cannot register nor validate your installation. Installing will not complete without it as you have to enter the key before installation will finish

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your best bet with this now is to message Essexboy with the link to your malware topic and let him know you have been waiting for at least 4 days now and ask him if he could please help as you would liek to have everything running by Friday. I can't promise anything as the malware techs are extremely busy at times but he may try to expidite your help for you

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
when I did the parallel install with that cd it didn't ask me for the reg. key, but it will if I format then install?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it will, it is one of the final stages of a new install

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok I will check with the previous owner again to see if they can find it. If they do, can you list the steps I need to do to format c and then reinstall?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will need you to take a picture of the cd and the COA as that will help verify it for the GTG Term Of Use rules.
Then I can help with the instructions you will need. If you cannot get it then you would either have to continue with malware topic or purchase a new Win Xp.

Edit due to wrong request.

I need the COA
Certificate Of Authenticity not reg key. Sorry for that.

Borrow a digital camera if you can and upload the pictures in your next replay. If your attachment is to big to attach then go Here. Register and upload your file. Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 April 2009 - 10:09 PM.

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok, not sure when I can get a picture, I will try tomorrow but it doesn't look good right now for the friday deadline

thanks

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi, the previous owner hasn't found the registration key, but she did find a windows xp service pack installation disk that is in it's original package, will that work if I take a picture of that?

zandre