Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP repair failing -

• Please log in to reply

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey all!

So, I am attempting to repair my windows xp and I went through most of the steps in repairing, however, i'm in the screen where on the left side it has Collecting Information, then dynamic update, then preparing installation, then installing windows, and finalizing installation. Well, it has been stuck on this for a long time...the messages are still changing and the little, green meter in the right bottom corner is still moving, however, nothing is going on. Can someone help me please?

I don't mind erasing everything and starting new, just want my pc back.

FYI:
I don't have the original windows disc, but i have another one possibly newer, and i have a key code.

Thank you!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Be patient If windows are still changing then its still working

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thank you. It has been doing this just over two hours. The screen is still the same, just this meter and the text are changing. The timer has been stuck on 34 minutes as well as the progression bar, it's been stuck at about 60% full for this entire time too.

s

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
2 Hours?
Well I think that is stuck. Install should only take a hour depending on the system. A repair install unless you have had some serious issues shouldn't take much longer at best. Mine only takes about 50 minutes from partition, format and full installation. Don't stop the repair but Please post the following info .
What was the reason for repair.
Can you post the following system info
Make
Model
Memory amount
hd size

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sony Vaio
vgc-rb45g
2 GB RAM
80gb

Reason for repair; pc freezes up. Freezes up with window open and running apps. If no windows are open and just desktop, pc takes longer to freeze. Problem started April 2. Defragged many times, ran disk cleanup numerous times too. Looked to regsweep for help, they had me run regsweep and several other options, and then advised me to perform a repair.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Who is THEY?
GTG does not recommend registry cleaners as they potentially can cause more harm then good. Did they run any diagnostic on the problem like a memory test, hd diagnostic, whocrashed, check msconfig for startup, msconfig services, chkdsk, scsnnow?
How about virus scans?

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
They are a register sweep product co that provides tech support for freezing pc's....I wish i wouldn't have clicked on them..just wanted a quick fix, i now realize that there is no quick fix. They did not run any system checks, they did do a msconfig for startup, chkdsk.
I just turned off the frozen pc...it start's up fine but keeps coming to the previous screen of installation, wanting to finish the repair, but nothing is doing.
thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may have to complete the installation then. You can try to go into safe mode. After first post screen where it counts up memory start tapping F8 that will get you to the boot menu. Chose safe mode
If you can get into safe mode we may be able to fix this. Please post back with result.

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks shaffer.
F8 worked and allowed me to choose, but just about to show the desktop, the message appeared; Windows XP setup cannot run under safemode. Setup will restart now. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GRRR, it looks like you will need to restart the installation and let it finish. If it finishes then we can continue. I don't know what they think the problem is so we will have to check everything out and see what pops up at us. Put the xp disc back in the drive and restart the system. Go thru the steps again they told you to repair install. It needs to finish and then it will reboot and you should be able to get back into windows then.
Let me know when it is and I will try to help from there. It's almost midnight here so i may not be up much longer but I will be up early so i can start with the morning sun. Please be patient and unless there is hardware issues we should be able to get this running.

Advertisements

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks,
so i sat all night trying to finish install, however, nothing ever came about. Still stuck on the same installation page, with no changes. yikes. not sure what to do now!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok reboot with the xp cd in. you will get to a window that says

Welcome To Setup>> Click R

This will take you into the recovery console
A black screen with a blinking cursor will appear
Type Edit boot.ini

look for a line that references Windows Setup>>>>> delete just that line
Save the file and exit
back at black screen again type exit and click enter. take out cd and let system reboot
this should take out any reference to the setup and allow windows to boot normally

Please let me know if this works for you

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks,
so, i get to that screen and it is giving me two options;
1: H:\minint
2: C:\WINDOWS

what exactly should i type; Type Edit boot.ini, Edit boot.ini, boot.ini.....well nothing is working, it is saying the command is not recognized

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
type 2 then enter then the black screen should come up

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 April 2009 - 01:52 PM.

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks,

So, i believe that it is a hardware issue. I had sony overnight a sony vaio recovery disc, and i got windows reinstalled, however, the pc is still freezing up again. Can someone give me some advise where to look for hardware issues?