Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Counterfeit Problem

• Please log in to reply

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I have been getting a message that my copy of Vista is a counterfeit, and another message saying that it cannot activate. My copy is not fake, bought from a reputable store, and now authenisized by Microsoft. After over 2 hours on the phone with the "Tech Support" - at times I could not understand them, they gave me a new Product ID. I tried to install, and now, I cannot install my Vista. I have tried to re-format the drive ( everything is backed up, thanks to the Microsoft tech ) and I cannot format.

Can someone here direct me to a program that will re-format my drive, so that I can put my old XP back in? Thanks

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Have you tested your hard drive to ensure it's not a problem with it? Here's a how-to: http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

Beyond that, when you boot from the XP disk to install it, one of the choices will be to Delete the Partition. Choose that, then choose to install XP in the unpartitioned space - and XP will automatically format it for you.

WARNING - be careful when deleting the partitions and formatting the drive. If you do the wrong drive, your stored information may be lost!!!

Edited by usasma, 16 April 2009 - 07:25 AM.

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Have you tested your hard drive to ensure it's not a problem with it? Here's a how-to: http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

Beyond that, when you boot from the XP disk to install it, one of the choices will be to Delete the Partition. Choose that, then choose to install XP in the unpartitioned space - and XP will automatically format it for you.

WARNING - be careful when deleting the partitions and formatting the drive. If you do the wrong drive, your stored information may be lost!!!

I will try this, but I only get a message that XP cannot be installed. Where would I find the choices, and is there any other program I can use?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The link I mentioned above will show you how to run a diagnostic that doesn't require Windows. You'll boot from the CD and the CD will load an operating system into memory (not on the hard disk) and it'll run the checks on the hard drive from there.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What is the complete error message you get when you try to install XP?
I assume you have Vista running to a certain point.
I wonder if the error is related to the program thinking you are downgarding and it won't let you.

Has this computer always had Vista on it? or did it have XP and then go to Vista?
I am asking because if it was bought with Vista, then downgrading could be a challenge because with newer computers you will most likely have problems finding the drivers to go backwards.

You can always use Dban (in my signature). It will wright 1 and 0 to the drive (security wipe).