Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

non mountable boot volume

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi, I recieved a non mountable boot volume yesterday. I run a check disk repair and that solved the problem. The only worry I have is, that this error might be a sign of things to come. I have opened my acronis and I'm making a clone of this disk while it is working right. The question I have is, even after doing a chkdsk /r and the drive is working OK, will the clone I'm making to the new drive pick up any of the bad atributes? There is alot of valuable business programs that need to work off that drive evey day. I have the data backed up but the program might not be replaceable. Thanks Picky

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
It's possible that some errors may be transferred - but if the system boots before you make the image and after you make the image, then it's safe to assume that the image doesn't contain any fatal errors.

I'd also suggest that you perform a hard drive diagnostic to make sure this wasn't a sign of impending failure of the hard drive. Instructions for this are here: http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

That being said, I must state that the only true test of the validity of an image is actually restoring that image to your system. So try the restore while the system is in the same state as when you made the image (after doing the hard drive diagnostic).

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I clone the drive with acronis and it booted up just fine. I tested the drive and it is ok for the time being. Having that cloned drive gives me some peace, I can stick this drive aside with a date and plan some upgrades. Thanks