Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory not being used when i open programs.

• Please log in to reply

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
to do that i had to go into rescue and recovery, a program on my old hdd. Then from there i could click an option to go to my bios. When i try and put my old hdd back it wont even load anymore. I still only get the black screen.

Advertisements

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
is there any test i can do that makes sure it was the hdd 100%.
I dont want to spend money and have it not be the case.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ok. i as on my other computer googling stuff about hdd wen i came across this thing called active smart. I d/l to see if it could tell me wat is wrong and it reduced the lag by bout 90% i only get it occasionally now. I do not know if is because i gave my computer a 2 day unplugg everything and just let it sit or wat but its running "ok" for now. I would like to do as many tests as i can while its at the speed. I d/l the diagnostic and will run it now.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ok i booted up the diagnostic and im getting an error. It says unable to locate license agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT!!!
please make sure it is located in the same place as DLGDIAG.EXE...
insert correct disk and stgrike any key.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you burn the program to a cd? The program is made to run outside of windows.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
yes i made a boot cd and tried running that way.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK, I'm not sure what is happening. I have never seen that message.

Have you tried to manually do the disk check by following the instructions found HERE?

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ok i did the manual thing and it appears to be stuck at phase 4. Also you sent me the XP home edition, i have XP Pro now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It won't matter as the command is the same in either. The program will seem like it stalls but let it run. It will take longer then the regular check program.How did we get to XP Pro again?
It has been a long day and I'm forgetting some things

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 April 2009 - 07:09 PM.

Advertisements

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
um 2 days ago i was trying to use the install cd to install xp onto my blank hdd but i accidentally installed onto my old one. No biggy. Can we test other things, although some errors are pointing to the bad hdd i cannot seem to find a 100% way to prove it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What version of XP does the sticker on the side of your computer say it is?

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
windows xp home edition. Its not rly that important lets try other things to get to the source of the problem. Are there any test or scans i can do that would show errors or faults in hardware?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is important because you can't install XP Pro when you have a XP Home registration key. They will not inter exchange with each other.

The system will not boot to a cd so we can't run System File Checker. It won't run HD diagnostic. There is no way to check it besides running it from Windows as I posted in reply 128

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 April 2009 - 07:29 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
The file checker is working its still in the process but this is the 3rd or 4th time you had me do it.