Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c0000221 [Bad Image Checksum] wininet.dll

• Please log in to reply

Pat580

Pat580

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, been having a problem with my computer for a while now and thought someone here might be able to help. I asked my son to reformat my computer which is running Windows XP while I was gone for the weekend, which he had done many times to his and my own. When I got back home I tried to boot the system up and got a blue screen error saying " c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum"

Ive read several other posts on the subject but here is the problem. I cant boot into safe mode, and I cant boot from the operating disk. When I go to the Setup Utilitty and hit Boot Sequence it has my hard drive and it also says "CD-ROM Device (not installed)".

I dont exactly know how to proceed from here as I have limited computer knowledge, any help that you guys could give me would be much appreciated. The more step by step it is the easier it will be for me to do.

Thanks for any help.

-Patrick

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo,
first thing I need to know is do you have a genuine microsoft Windows Xp disc with a key code? Also

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Pat580

Pat580

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If this is a name brand system:
Make - Dell
Model - 4800
Operating System - XP
Age of the computer - 5 years
Memory Total - Not sure, any way to find out?
Hard Drive Size, How much free space - 80 gig drive, free space prob about 10 gig or less

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To find out memory... go to
Start>Right Click on My Computer>Properties
In that window it will give you System Information
Os System and Version
Down lower it will give you
Computer
Cpu and memory

Also need to know about the first question in last post. Reply with info requested

Pat580

Pat580

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah sorry, I have the genuine windows XP operating disc with a key code. And i cant get to the start menu. The blue screen pops up right after it boots up.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd

Reboot

still no joy...
get memtest 86here ...this will test your memory...let it run for at least 2 hours...if you get any errors then the ram is bad and will have to be replaced...no errors after 2 hours.......then its probably good and we can try other things..
it will run until you press the escape key
the how to is here..

K0OL g3Ek

K0OL g3Ek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey PAT580 was your problem solved by the steps given by HAPPYROCK??
cause i am having the same problem but in my case CD drive is not working so booting from cd is not an option so can i apply this method with a pen drive
please help!!