Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply

watsgoodg

watsgoodg

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I installed xp on the entire hd then realized i wanted to install another instance of xp. I used partition magic 8 to resize the partition. Installed the 2nd xp operating system. Now when logging into either operating systems i can access both partitions. How can i prevent the partitions from not being able to see eachother?

Advertisements

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
hello watsgoodg

This method can be used only on Windows XP Professional Edition. This is not possible on Windows XP Home Edition.

1.Open the Group Policy Editor (Start > Run, type in “gpedit.msc” and press [Enter]).
2.Go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates> Windows Components > WindowsExplorer.
3.Here, you’ll find “Hide these specified drives in My Computer” and “Prevent access to drives from My Computer”.
4.The difference between the two settings is that “Prevent access” will allow the user to see the drive icon, but will give an error message when he tries to access it.
5.“Hide” will remove the icon so the user won’t see it, but the drive can still be accessed by using Start > Run and keying in the drive letter.
6.Under this setting, after you click the radio button next to “Enable”, you’ll see several options. Choose the one you want to
apply, for example, “Restrict A and B drivesonly”. You’ll notice that the options here are restricted; you cannot, for example,
choose to restrict drives A, B and D.

watsgoodg

watsgoodg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the fast reply. I will give it a try and post my feedback. Yes i am running winxp pro.

watsgoodg

watsgoodg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Running into one more problem the machine is in a domain environment...therefore i cannot change these settings without them reverting back?

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Let me research your problem a little more, I'll get back soon with an answer. By the way, any particular reason you want the Windows OS's not to see each other? Based on your reason, maybe we can find an alternate solution that works for you.

watsgoodg

watsgoodg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
One os is used primarily for work the other is non work related. I would use a virtual client but i would prefer a dual boot.

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Tell me more about the domain..is this computer at a place of business? Does the network have an administrator, or someone whom you go to for network/computer issues? This may be a setting that only they can manage -- there is a chance you do not have admin rights on this computer.

watsgoodg

watsgoodg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Tell me more about the domain..is this computer at a place of business? Does the network have an administrator, or someone whom you go to for network/computer issues? This may be a setting that only they can manage -- there is a chance you do not have admin rights on this computer.

Thanks for all the help i was able to resolve the issue.

Resolution: I used a program called "Disk drive security". This allowed me to Hide, Lock, and Disallow auto run for the drive. Great application to try!

Thanks again.

-Jason s

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need more help with this issue, post a new reply in this thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

ne0h

ne0h

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
most simple way is either encrypt the drive or use the software like folder lock to lock the drive and restrict the permissions......
use any encryption software to encrypt the drive u want to