Firstly from reading the many posts on the topic of this particular problem it appears to a relatively new problem and it is very good at defeating all automated removal software (aka spybot etc).
Secondly a question that appears to be a big one to me, is there a set way to get rid of it that can apply to everyone or is it ne of those horrible things that has to be dealt with individually by posting logfiles as some people have.
Thirdly it appears from the previous posts on this topic that the proceedure to completely sanatise the infection is quite lengthy and involving, particularly for someone with little or no knowledge of those things. In this case is there a quick fix that can be completed by your average joe, that will allow them to return their pc to some state of normal.
Ok thats it for the questions heres some of the things i have tried so far, some of which have helped and others that aren't worth it all recommended by people who obviously had no idea either:
1. "Find the file and just delete it" - this won't work guys its always write protected or read only =(
2. "Restart your computer" - lol i wish =D
3. "Use a spybot/virus scan" - great idea if only they would detect it =(
4. "Just reinstall windows" - like i can be bothered =(
5. "Block pouper.exe using a firewall" - good theory but not so effective in practice it just laughs at you and keeps coming =(
6. "Block IE with a firewall" - funny this actually worked, blocking IE with NIS (norton) actually stopped the popups too. Unfortunatley this meant resorting to a different web browser ( i used mozilla) but it did make surfing a bit easier.
7. "Press ctrl-alt-delete and end task" - ending the task just makes it reappear so it wont help in that way, how it does help is that somtimes the popuper.exe likes to use 90% or more of your cpu usage making it hard to do anything at all. By ending the task it rsets this to 0 and gives you back some power.
I dont claim to know anything about this at all these are just some questions i have asked and answers i have tried that may help someone else out there, and save you hours of hair pulling and keyboard rage. If anyone else has some questions please post them as the hardest bit about getting rid of these things is not knowing what to do. And it would be great if someone who does know what they are on about could post some answers as well.