Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen and blinking cursor!

• Please log in to reply

Anil D

Anil D

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys...my first post...
ive just got the black screen and flashing cursor screen on boot up and i dont know what to do!!! ive tried most of the ways and even followed all the instructions in this thread :http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/XP-won-t-boot-blinking-cursor-blank-screen-t159277.html&st=30

ive tried using the puppy program happyroc said but i was just wondering whether i could repair the os whilst in that puppy linux. any help is appreciated! thanks

happyroc you stated:

while wannabe1 is offline or out chasing wild women.. :)
try this..
get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
if puppy will run I could give you a link to get a different program that will run from the cd drive that can repair windows ...usually..

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No you can't repair the installation thru puppy linux. Puppy is designed to allow you to get to your data and to be able to burn it off so it will be safe. After reading the complete thread you linked to it was apparent the culprit was a virus and a full format would be the only way to fix it. :)
Before that please backup all your needed data files onto a external drive or by burning them to cd's. As it was well documented in the topic you mentioned everything else did not work. I'm sorry to be the one bearing the bad news but you would be wasting your time trying to fix or repair the problem. :)
A complete format and reinstall of your OS is the way to fix this issue. If you need assistance with that we can help if you would like. :)

Anil D

Anil D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
oh alright. Thing is, it happened after i restarted mcafee....which is weird...

Ive even tried the chkdsk /r but when it gets to 75% it goes back to 50% and then when it returns to 75% it says 100% and is successfull....

Edited by Anil D, 18 April 2009 - 07:18 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Anil D ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)

you can use puppy to save your data from a system that won't boot...you cannot repair windows with it ...
can you boot into safe mode...tap the F8 key right after booting up ...tap it about once a second..
give a little more detail on what happened...did you add any new software or hardware...update windows or any other program...just prior to having the problem..

EDIT...YOU BOTH POSTED WHILE I WAS TYPING MY REPLY...FAST FINGERS :)

Edited by happyrock, 18 April 2009 - 07:22 AM.

Anil D

Anil D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the welcome....
yeh i restarted mcafee, and then restarted my laptop to see that i had the black screen. when i try pressing f8 i just get the black screen again. so i cant go into safe mode or "last known working ...".

after reading that other thread i linked to and when you "happyroc" wrote "if puppy will run I could give you a link to get a different program that will run from the cd drive that can repair windows ...usually.." i just presumed you should be able to repair windows, if not thats ok, because the main thing is that i can access my files.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
puppy will let you get your data copied off to a flash drive or a usb connected external hard drive ...
getting into safe mode is a timing thing...when you first power up start tapping the F8 key...if you can't even boot into safe mode you will have to repair windows the how to is here...