Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I downloaded it and it will not install because it says that it WMP 10 is only for XP 32 bit O/S....I was going to try 11 again...?!?!?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that would be my next suggestion too.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 04:04 PM.

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I tried the 11 and it said that the version that I tried to install could not be installed over the recent one which is already installed....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try to install it to a different directory...for example

C:\WMP11

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 04:12 PM.

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yeah I agree that is a good idea, but I only get beyond the User Licensee Agreement and then the error message comes up...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmmm, well it seems that Microsoft has locked this down really tight now. I cannot think of any way to get around this now. I would suggest third party ripping software as I stated in post 18
Being that microsoft is not allowing preinstalled versions of Vista and WMP to be uninstalled from control panel that is making it harder to find a fix. As Major Payne stated you might try going to the directory it is installed in and try to remove it that way.

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
How would I do that? And I just tried to remove WMP using a third party uninstaller and it could not even find WMP...........

Edited by Ethan Bowen, 18 April 2009 - 04:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is what Major Payne suggested...I misquoted the post number before

The path to WMP for Vista is listed on my PC as: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" Definitely not in the list of Add/Remove programs. Just wonder if he could physically remove it from the directory?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Maybe Artellos can find something I have missed. I see he's reading this thread.

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Removing WMP in that directory about crashed my Laptop-not kidding....Oh this is really starting to tick me off

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What happened?

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I tried to get ride of WMP in that directory for me it was C:/ProgramFiles/WindowsMediaPlayer/wmplayer.exe and I tried to wipe everything out of that directory but it almost crashed my Laptop, and it was acting up. I said that it was using WMP and so I went the task manager and ended processes that where WMP and tried it again and it almost crashed it again and I had to restart my Laptop...

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
What about downloading the codes manually? How do you do that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Downloading the codecs is the site I gave you earlier. The K-Lite pack
Have you reinstalled WMP back in to the same directory?
That should take care of the crashing problem as it is looking for the directory and its not there

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Oh okay, but see what I do not understand is that I installed the codes and it says that I have to do it again??!@?@?? Yeah I reset it back to the place where it came from. If I downloaded the codes manually why did that not take care of the problem then? That is what it said, to download the codes or it would do it automatically...That is what is getting me, I did what it said to do and it still does not work..>>!>@>@