Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
So now what? There has got to be something that we are missing here...something important....(Yeah if WMP is built into Vista, I can see why the crashing would occur)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not theoretically, WMP 11 is installed as a package with Vista on preinstalled systems. I think the standalone may be absent of the problems with not being able to burn or rip. I had 11 but found it to be a big pain so I unistalled and went back to 10
The difference is I'm on XP Pro so the uninstall was much easier then what you are facing.

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
So what do we do next? I would be like pray to God that it will work for me....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the reinstall fix the crashing problem ?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello rshaffer61, Hello Ethen Bowen,

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, I had a network issue to deal with in my local town :)

The first thing that springs to mind right now is a repair installation of Vista (Instead of a re-install).

This article should help you repair windows Vista.
However I am not sure if that will solve your ripping problem.

What exactly are you trying to rip?
Where are you ripping it to? (Path?)
Are you using any specific settings? if so, which ones?

Regards,
Olrik

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes Sir, I restored everything to go back from the recycle bin back to the original program file...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post 1 contents for you Artellos. I believe just a music cd

"I try to rip a CD to my computer using Windows Media Player but I get this error when I put the CD into my computer:
"Windows Media Player cannot play, burn, rip, or sync the file because a required audio codec is not installed on your computer." Well when that error came up it had web help, so I went to the website and it said something about codes and how to configure them in Windows Media Player, well the settings that they wanted me to change were already set. What do I do next? I want to be able to play and listen to my music, but I can not get ride of this error? Does anyone know what I need to do? I tried to re-install Windows Media Player but I can't because the versions are different and I can not uninstall it because it is not listed in the Uninstall Programs in Windows Vista. So how do I fix this?"

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I believe if it has to do with a codec either the K-lite codec that you recommended or the Combined Community Codec Pack should take care of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people that made the CD put protection on it to prevent people from copying it to their computer. (Instead of playing it directly off the disk).

Are you able to listen to the songs directly off the disk?

Regards,
Olrik

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I am sorry but I do not want to do that Vista, I have had a lot of problem with this computer. I am just ripping a cd using Windows Media Player to the Music Folder, so I can burn it to a CD. I am just using the basic settings in WMP 11....How do you remove WMP 11? There has got to be a way or something that we are missing here...Me and my new tech friend have been working on this since 8:30 or so this morning....

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Here is a screen shot of it doing it in action

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Ethan,

Did this CD ever work for you? In either your PC or a sound system?

Regards,
Olrik

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes, this CD starts to play in WMP when it was on the above screen shot and it does play in my sound system.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Ethan,

You tried installing the K-Lite codec pack as rshaffer61 suggested, Did this install go smoothly?
You didn't receive any errors while installing the K-lite codec pack?

Regards,
Olrik

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes Sir the install went smoothly and no problems came up during installation.

Ethan Bowen

Ethan Bowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I am installing the Combined Community Pack...