Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard doesn't work in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
While trying to recover from a malware problem I have found that when I start Windows XP in Safe Mode, the keyboard does not work. This is a Dell dimension 4700 and it is a non-USB keyboard. (the mouse is USB and it does work). There is a "keyboard failure" message that flashes quickly on the black screen before the blue windows start up. I believe that has always been there since I got the thing. I suspect there is some low-level problem that is compensated for when windows starts in normal mode, but not in safe mode. But I don't know how to begin to address the problem.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you started with a malware problem did you do the cleaning yourself or did you have help from malware techs?
Also how long has the error message about KB been happening. You said "I believe that has always been there since I got the thing"
Makes me believe the kb is the issue and not os. Have you tried a different kb to see if it fixes the problem?
If so and problem still happens then I am inclined to believe your kb port on motherboard may be your problem.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 10:02 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The keyboard should be recognized at the BIOS level. Your keyboard is a PS2 one so there is no need to enable or do anything elase. Please boot to BIOS and see if you can move in the menus (you only use the keyboard in BIOS).

If you can, then the problem is either with windows or the chipset driver. rshaffer61's advice to test the computer with another keyboard is a good one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you The Skeptic.
I would also like to find out what kind of kb this is. Is it a multimedia type with volume control and all that on it?
Is it a usb or standard ps2?
Not working in safe mode makes me believe it is usb and I don't believe windows loads usb support for kb and\or mouse in safe mode.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go ahead, rshaffer61. Sorry for interupting. It's just that the OP wrote "This is a Dell dimension 4700 and it is a non-USB keyboard. (the mouse is USB and it does work)" so I assumed this must be an PS2 keyboard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry you are correct. I am still inclined to believe the issue is KB first then Windows. If the kb works in normal mode then I am wondering if Safe mode is not loading the appropriate drivers.

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry for not responding on this topic earlier. The problem evolved in to a worse one that I have been corresponding with rshaffer61 about ( http://www.geekstogo...ir-t236103.html ). The keyboard problem is now moot since I can't get into Safe Mode any more.

But just to answer the questions that were raised, this is a standard-issue Dell keyboard, no fancy multimedia stuff. And I have often seen it flash "keyboard failure" very briefly while starting up (not sure if it is 100% - it goes by quickly), but then it works just fine. I considered it a false alarm. It is only in Safe Mode that I have ever experienced it actually not working.