Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about sempron 2800+.

• Please log in to reply

ewanB

ewanB

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I have a quick question that isn't really important, I'm just curios.
I have a sempron 2800+ running at 2ghz, according to everything I've read the 2800+ runs at 12/333 and is multiplier locked.
With mine this is not the case. It is running at 10/404. I didn't do this and my motherboard (an asrock k7s41) doesn't seem to have any bios multiplier settings. It does have jumper multiplier settings, but I don't have any spare jumpers to try this out.
Can you explain why this is and is the multiplier locked?

Thanks,
Ewan

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
K7S41GX is a Socket A Board, a budget Socket A board that is surprisingly still being made four years after everybody else stopped making them. It's the only mainstream Socket A board still out there.

Anyway the only Sempron listed at this board for the 2800 is the one with a clock speed of2Ghz and an FSB of 333. You have a very slight overclock.
This board does not support multiplier access to the processor but it sounds like your memory speed is set to DDR400. In the Advanced section of the BIOS is an option, "DRAM Timing". This should be set to Auto. The other option above it is "CPU Host Frequency". For your Sempron this should be set to 166. You can manually override this if the on-board jumper is set to anything else.

ewanB

ewanB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply,
Really what I want to know is why my multiplier is at 10x when it should be locked at 12x.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is probably a feature of Cool & Quiet, an ideology that drops the speed of the processor when it's not in use and ramps it back up again when the demand is there.