Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot log in to Windows, not even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

janssen

janssen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
My wife's computer seems to be infected by a virus. I tried to download a malware program and restarted the computer. When I logged in to Windows, the computer immediately saved settings, logged off and returned to the login screen again. I googled this and was advised to log in using the safe mode. But here the same happens. When I googled again I came accross this forum, which seems to be used by really clever people. The computer runs Window XP.
Does any of you has an idea how to solve this? All help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Put your winxp cd in cd drive and reboot your system
When promted to push any key to boot to cdrom then click a key
Click R to enter recovery console

Type the following

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32
click enter

Once it says 1 file copied
Then type exit and click enter
System will reboot
Make sure to remove winxp pro cd before it boots up and let it boot fully
Windows should start normally

If not post with result

If it fixs everyhting then I will give you further instructions :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 04:07 PM.

janssen

janssen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately I do not have the disk at the moment. We are in the middle of a move and the disk is in storage (with most of our other possessions). Is there another solution. Also, when I follow your instructions, would any files be lost? (most files are backed up, but not everything).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you could borrow a XP disk from someone that is the same as what is installed in the system then you can complete the step.If you can't then there is no other way without the disk. What I instructed you to do is to replace a possibly corrupted file in the windows directory. This is for user profiles and most everytime this type of issue is caused as you state by a virus.
Once you can get it back into windows I would suggest for you to

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken heren borrow a Xp disc

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 April 2009 - 04:27 PM.

janssen

janssen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Maybe I can borrow a disk somewhere and try your suggestion. As the computer is about 5 years old I was thinking of buying a new one. I have read that it is possible to take the hard drive out of the old computer and somehow attach this to the new one. Is there a forum or link which discusses this? Also if I do that, do I have a risk to get the virus in my new computer?

By the way, it all started with a message on the screen that the computer was infected. I then ran a VGA virus scan and restarted the computer. The rest I told you already. Thanks for your time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depending on the files you are trying to backup then yes it could infect a new system.
The safest way is to NOT backup any file that has as it's extension name the following
.exe
.scr
.html

Most anything else is safe. You can try puppy linux. It will allow you to get to the files and burn them off without being in windows.

Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
download it from HERE and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from the link in my signature below. Do not burn as a data cd.

Burncdcc is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...