Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BAD_POOL_CALLER after Windows XP "repair"

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That will work, then if you want and have all the original cd's we could format this one and start completely fresh. Let me know if it works and as always I'm here to help

Advertisements

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK. That means original CDs for all apps too, not just windows. I have a few boxes to sift through. But I'll get to work, thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yes but most important is Xp..... reg key..... and drivers
that will get the system running. From there the programs you can put back in at your pace.

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2009 - 04:51 PM.

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Got XP reg key. I think my driver requirements are fairly minimal. Just as a point of information, is there any other option? I'll do this is I have to, but if there's another way...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can't see any other way. We have tried everything possible to not have to do this.
The drive checks out ok, which means the ide ribbon and controller are functioning correctly. he memory checks out fine
It's not a memory issue then
We tried the repair and that wants to format. There is an issue that I am beginning to believe is still related to the infection that started all this. There seems to be something that is interfering with everything we do. The most likely suspect is that mcafee didn't get it cleaned before it did the damage.
What ever you do don't copy any exe files. If this is one of a couple of infections the exe files is what it spreads by. Just backup data only. the programs can be reinstalled after we make sure everything is formatted and back up and running correctly. Without being able to get you into windows the malware techs won't be able to help. Formatting will prob be the best thing at this point.

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I popped open both boxes: Dell Dimension 4300(good) and Dell Dimension 4700(bad). But the connectors on the HDs look completely different. I had sort-of thought they should be interchangeable. Was I expecting too much?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
the 4700 may have sata instead of IDE
On the 4700 does the cable have a very small flat connector?
IDE has a wide multi hole connector ribbon

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2009 - 05:34 PM.

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
4700 has Maxtor SATA drive. 4300 has WD IDE drive. Do you think there is any way to plug a SATA into the 4300?

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OR--this seems less likely, but I'll ask anyway-- plug the SATA into a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
you could get a adpator but more likely have you looked at the 4300 to make sure it doesn't have a sata connector on the mb
the problem plugging it into laptop is no way to power it.
the other option is to buy a external enclosure
have it for a sata drive to usb. That way you can plug it into the usb connector on the 4300 or if the laptop has a usb connector you could do it that way also.

Advertisements

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Pretty sure 4300 does not have SATA (from inspection and other things on the 'net).

Given that disk prices have come down, here's my new plan: get a new (and higher capacity) SATA, clean install Windows on it, then recover files from the old SATA at my leisure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That sounds like a good plan. You not only get a newer faster drive with more capacity but you can also have a second drive. :) My suggestion is before you transfer anything over follow the following instruction and have a malware tech help you scan that second drive for infections. this way you will be assured you will not be transferring anything that could cause this problem again.

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
rshaffer61-
I got a new 500Gb HD and WinXP installed OK. Working my way through drivers and SP now. Will be off to Malware Forum tomorrow (long day). Thank you so much for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That's great news badpc-badpc, I am thrilled you managed to get a new hd so fast and get your system back up and running. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your issue and your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

badPC-badPC

badPC-badPC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sadly, the old 80Gb drive is now unreadable. I had initially mounted it fine as a second HD, and I recovered a couple of files off of it. But I had postponed doing any significant copying for fears of infecting my new HD. The disc was scanned and cleaned with several programs, but after doing this, I can't read it any more.

When I attempt to access from Windows it says "disk has not been formatted", from a cmd shell it says "CRC error", SeaTools reports a high number of errors.

Maybe it was an accident waiting to happen, but just wondering if anyone has ideas on other avenues to pursue.