Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lan works fine, but no internet access after Koobface removal

• Please log in to reply

RILockGuy

RILockGuy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a wireless network setup at my house. I can share files/printer but am unable to connect to the internet using my laptop. I am running windows xp professional version 2002 Service pack 3. This all happened after I clicked a link on a friends profile on facebook :) . I ran superantispyware which found and removed various trojan and koobface virus. I also ran Malwarebytes which removed a few more. When I attempt to connect to the net, I am told that "internet explorer cannot display the webpage", Windows update cannot connect, neither can the auto updates of the antispyware software I use. Upon using the IE "Diagnose Connection Problems" link it says:

Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP,HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by your firewall settings on this computer.

Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80). HTTPS port(443) and FTP port (21).

I have had the firewall disabled in windows due to the file/printer sharing and my antivirus/spyware software never coflicted with access before (I disabled it anyway - but that didnt change anything). I have tried SmitFraudFix, winsockxpfix).

PROBLEM RESOLVED

I Ijust wanted to report that i have managed to clear my problem...

The lan settings in IE options must have been changed as when i looked into my lan settings i found a couple boxes was checked, in my case the "automatically detect settings" & "Proxy server" was
checked , removing these cleared my problem.

IE - Tools - internet options - connections - lan settings - ensured all
check boxes were clear.

thought would post this as hope it may help any others having a similer issue

Edited by RILockGuy, 19 April 2009 - 01:03 PM.

Advertisements

RILockGuy

RILockGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Internet works if I boot in safe mode w/ networking. I have no firewall installed, can't figure out whats causing this.