Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computer

• Please log in to reply

felixolpito

felixolpito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hiya,

Shaffer - I've done all that you've suggested, but with little change, so I don't think it's a start up problem.

Edge - Is there anywhere else where I can download this driver from. I've tried downloading it and it's very slow, around 2kb per second! It eventually times out as I'm downloading it. I thought that it may have been because my computer was slow, but it's the same at my parents house & at work!

Thanks for all your advice.

Carl

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well After reading through the Everest report I do see one item that is probably the root of your problem. You have only 448 megs of memory and running XP and that's barely enough to keep Xp running and nothing for any other programs you want to run. I would advise you to increase you memory to 1 gig. This will help allot and the speed will increase immediately once it is installed. Go HERE and run Crucial's online scanner for your memory. It will then tell you exactly what type of memory you have and what the suggested upgrade you should get. You don' have to buy it from them but use the information to find the correct memory you need. If you need assistance with this we can help you.
Another item I just want to give you a FYI about is your free space on your C drive. It's at 20% free and that is going to be a problem if it get's much lower. A suggestion here would be to consider a larger HD. At today's prices a 160 GB drive is now only 50.00 plus shipping as shown HERE
If you were to make these two changes I believe you would see a speed increase that would be worth the money you spent.

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 April 2009 - 03:01 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.wireless-...-PCI-Driver.htm
You can try that one too.

Shaffer is correct; you have to little RAM to run XP and other programs. You should consider an upgrade. Upgrading RAM is the most cost effective way to increase system performance.

felixolpito

felixolpito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
COol!

I'll look into buying some more memory then!

Thanks for all the advice! :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Ok! :)

Once you upgrade your computer and still have speed problems, then post back here. Have fun shopping!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible