Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer boots up but the screen is black

• Please log in to reply

JoshuaGill

JoshuaGill

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a problem. Everytime I start the computer from a cold start I hear 5 beeps, get a black screen and I hear the computer complete the start-up process. After waiting about 5 minutes, I can restart the computer and the screen comes up. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
make and model of the computer or motherboard? Do you know what kind of bios (AMI, PHOENIX, AWARD...)

Are they five short beeps, long beeps....any pauses?

JoshuaGill

JoshuaGill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
long beep, 2 short beeps, pause, 2 short beeps.

The computer is a Gateway with a pentium 4 1.4 Ghz.

Where can I find the bios? When I went to Norton Utilities, it said that the Bios was Gatewa. Is this possible? If not, where can I find it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the bios name flashes right when you start the PC....it sounds like Phoenix, and that means you have a DMA problem (direct memory access)...and that means a motherboard going belly up.

By your description, I would guess a very small crack/fracture/scratch that when the motherboard is warm it is just enough to make contact, but when cold the contact is not made...

JoshuaGill

JoshuaGill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Where would this fracture be? Would it be near where the RAM is installed on the motherboard?

Milamber

Milamber

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Easiest fix is to put the RAM stick into another computer (if you are unsure how to do this, take your computer to a shop and get them to test it)

If the motherboard has a fracture in it, it is highly unlikely that it will be reapirable. Probably have to get a new motherboard.

but test the RAM stick first. no point spending tons of money if you don't have to.

M

JoshuaGill

JoshuaGill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there something I can look at to see if there is a fracture? is this the only possibility?

Milamber

Milamber

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The only thing capable of detecting a fracture the size that would be in the motherboard is a professional x ray machine. it would be cheaper to replace the motherboard than scan it with an X Ray machine (then you would have to find the fracture between the wires and various other components in the board itself)

It's most liekly to be a faulty RAM stick. The Gateway boards use a modified version of the AMI BIOS and accoding to the beep codes for the AMI BIOS

--------
1 Long, 3 Short Beeps
You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips.
--------

If you take the memeory chip otu and reseat it in the same slot, and it continues to beep, try a diffferent slot,(the onee immediately to the left or right of the current slot) If THAT doesn't fix it then try another computer. If it continues to beep in a different computer then it is most likely a faulty RAM chip.

Alternately, get a friend to loan you their RAM chip and swap yours out. If the computer beeps with your friends RAM chip in it and not yours then it may be a problem with the memeory on your Graphics card.

If your graphics card is built onto the motherboard then you will need to get a new motherboard. If it is an actual card (one that you can remove), try swapping that out and putting your RAM stick back in.

Usually though a GFX card error results in nothing being displayed to the screen on boot. Although I have experienced RAM sticks doing the same thing (stopping the GFX card dispalying it's BIOS information [the very first thing you see on the screen when the computer is turned on]).

With the above, if you are unsure of how to do any of it, it is probably best to simply take it to a computer shop that you trust (family businesses are good) and letting them figure out whats wrong.

M