Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ALL of my browsers fail to browse the net

• Please log in to reply

Anathema

Anathema

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
This issue is driving me INSANE (short walk, but still :)).

At random times my primary browser, Firefox, will just stop loading pages. So, I try loading IE....IE claims it cannot connect to the internet either.....YET I am still able to do IRC, MSN, Email, and other internet stuff - I just cannot browse it. Some downloads (like updating programs) won't work either, but some do for a little bit.

So I close IE, then I close Firefox. The process for Firefox WILL NOT end. I've sat there asking it to end for 30 minutes before trying to log off or restart.....because it just won't die, I have had to pull the plug every time. I have successfully logged off twice, both times firefox.exe is still running when I log back on....so I cannot launch Firefox, though I can browse via IE. This is hindering my work and making me fall behind in my studies too :).

I've recently installed AVG free (anti virus) and I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not...I don't think I've installed anything else recently. I've been trying to work out if I'm keylogged and I was told AVG and Spybot but I don't know. Neither comes up with anything.

Edited by Anathema, 19 April 2009 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Yeah same issue, except now it doesnt load forever it just slaps me with a "couldnt connect to server" message. I pinged Google:

Pinging google.com [209.85.171.100] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=235
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=107ms TTL=235
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=235
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=235
Ping statistics for 209.85.171.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 95ms, Maximum = 108ms, Average = 102ms

I tried accessing Google via IP too....no help. IE is working though (but I hate IE so I want FireFox back).

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Uninstall AVG, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/download-tools, and see, if it helps.

Edited by Broni, 19 April 2009 - 10:20 PM.

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks! I uninstalled it. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow :).

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
We'll be here :)

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I SEEM to be okay, but there's like 6 "access denied" processes crippling my PC (granted I have Photoshop and Dreamweaver and etc running)... They're all "ScanningProcess.exe" processes with "Kaspersky AV Scanner" as the description....is that a remnant of AVG? I havent installed any other virus scanner....I cannot even open the location that the file is at - and this is the admin account!

And thank you for the help :).

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

there's like 6 "access denied" processes crippling my PC

What exactly do you mean by "crippling"?
ScanningProcess.exe belongs to Zone Alarm firewall/AV, and Kaspersky AV Scanner belongs to Kaspersky AV.
It looks like you have quiet a mess there, including more than one AV program installed.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal - HiJackThis™ Logs Go Here area.

Before you post a log click on this link --> You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
this will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your Hijackthis log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I may be wrong on this, but I believe "ScanningProcess.exe" also belongs to Kaspersky Online Scanner 7... I remember about a week ago, the exe showed up in my Task Manager during a scan. I can't seem to find the site, but I remember it was KAS...

Best to follow Broni's advice all the same.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
We're both right: http://www.pcpitstop...rocess.exe.html

ScanningProcess.exe process is part of the Kasperksy anti-virus scanner. This process was also bundled into the Zone Alarm internet security product.

:) :)

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Well if it's bundled with Zone Alarm then I should be okay? Just wish it would run once, instead of 4-6 times :).

EDIT: I also havent got "Kaspersky" installed. I have Zone Alarm and Spybot.

Edited by Anathema, 21 April 2009 - 06:17 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's why you need to follow my advice #8 to sort things out.

Anathema

Anathema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Okay, posted. I'm always nervous when posting logs like that... I dunno if someone smarter than me could use them against me, especially if they knew enough....

Anyway, thanks heaps Broni :).

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)