Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

temp help

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
in bios, my cpu idles at about 52 degrees c (it actually went to 50 when I connected my case fan). is that good or shoud it be lower since it is in bios and not actually running a lot. the temperature of the cpu in the bios of the mobo manual was equal to mine.

Edited by neilp4453, 09 May 2005 - 06:43 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ideal cpu temps are in the low 40's c at idle such as when you are in bios because the computer is at idle.
The censers that read these temps are know to be inaccurate and they usually read high sometimes by as much as 10c to 15c.
If the computer is stable I would not worry about it but if you are still concerned you could use a themometer and hold its censer near the base of the heat sink and get a idea.

You could also download and run prime95 and run its torture test and then use the themometer to see what the temps are under full load, it tests for heat but also tests the cpu, ram, mobo and psu. If you can run prime for 6 to 8 hours all your hardware is stable, if it fails then one of the components is bad but the first thing to suspect is heat problems. I typically run prime on all my builds to make sure they are 100% stable.

Rick

cpc197c

cpc197c

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
If you see a problem, try a program called CPUIdle. When idleing, the CPU should cool down much quicker and to about 5 degrees below your normal temp. It is trial first though, so after a while you will have to buy it.

Also, if you have an athlon CPU, this cooling software is already implemented in the CPU itself.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
a 2 degree drop with 1 case fan...seems about right. was that an intake or a vent fan?
you may want to add another case fan or two. these newer CPU's run very hot, and proper case cooling is essential.
as an example, I loaded a 2nd intake fan in the front of my case, which dropped the case temp 5 celsius, and the CPU temp 2-3 celsius.