Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting microsoft C++ runtime error

• Please log in to reply

kfoster

kfoster

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi all,
I'm having problem logging on to online games. I get a "microsoft C++ runtime error, abnormal program termination" I tried different games, and get the same results.
On some games I get this error as soon as I click the start icon, on other it loads to the logon screen and after I enter my login name and password, it crash. I installed the programs on a different computer and they work fine without any errors, so I know the CDs is not the problem. :tazz:

The only differents between the two computer is one was preloaded with Windows XP and the other, the one I'm having problem with, had Windows 98 and I upgraded to XP.

Is there some way to fix this problem without formatting and re-installation? ;)
Sys Specs:
AMD 2700
512 ram
Gforce FX 5700 ultra
40 Gig HD
Windows XP upgrade version

Advertisements

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
this has happened to me, for some reason it always involved my video card. I noticed you have a very nice video card, so you might want to go get a new driver for your video card, i suggest the one on Nvidia Then re-install your game. Make sure to keep your saved games :tazz:

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well I don't have to worry about saved games because I never had an online game working. I try this route before, Anyway I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver 71.89 and of course it fail again. :tazz: The same and exact error readout:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Errors
Program: C:\Program Files\Sony\Station\LaunchPad\LaunchPad.exe
Abnormal Program Termination

As you can see on the program line, it always crash on the launch.exe.

Any idea??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you have a copy of MS Office, uninstall, then reinstall it...this will install fresh copies of C++ runtime files.

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Unfortunately I do not have MS Office on this computer. The OS was Windows 98 and I installed the XP upgraded. Is there any other way to get C++ runtime files without buying new software?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.david-tay...re/runtime.html

scroll down to
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I downloaded the latest version of the file from the link you gave me. The file name was msvcrt.dll. ver. 6.0.8267.0
The site recommended that I install the file in the same folder of the program that was giving me problem, and not it the Windows\system directory. I did that and still, the same problem. I did a search for the file and found it in the Windows\system32 folder. But the version number was 7.0.2600.1106. This seems like the latest version, and the one from the link is outdated.
I don't know anything about these files, so I'm at a lost. Do you know if this is the right file I need? The bad thing about this error is that it doesn't name a particular file.
Is there anything else I can try?

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Just google your C++ runtime libraries. That should give you enought results

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I tried looking under google search, but I couldn't find one that pertain to my problem. In fact , I found this forum in hopes of finding an answer.

Anyway, I re-installed XP upgrade using the repair feature, and still no-go. The only conclusion I can think of now is that, Windows XP upgrade doesn't load all the necessary files, or I don't have a missing or corrupt files, but a bogus file(s) that needs to be deleted, which is preventing the program from executing. The point is, what files?

Do you think this is a sound assessment, or I'm I just running off in left field?