Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD problems on my laptop

• Please log in to reply

ncdude

ncdude

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 600m running Windows XP. My problem is my cd rom drive will play music but will not load software. Is this a hardware or software issue

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what happens when you try to load software? (and what software)

ncdude

ncdude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for replying Gerry.

The CD spins up as if it's reading the automatic startup file. but never does anything else. I can see that the files are there but cannot even run them using the 'start' and 'run' method.

The software is specific to my job as a radio advertising saleperson...Tapscan and Mapmaker.

Tim

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Out of curiousity, can you drag the files to you machine (copy)? Can you install from there? Have you ever installed anything or is this a work provided machine?

I ask the last question because if your IT guy set you up as a limited user, you cannot install software

ncdude

ncdude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This particular machine is a personal one I use for work that was set up with all of the work related stuff when I initially bought it, i.e. network id's, work related software, etc. I'm not a limited user unless somehow that's changed without my knowledge. I have loaded software and applications from the CD before so I suspect a failure of some kind. I just don't know where to look without spending a lot of time searching. Although I'm competent with computers in general, I don't have the IT type of training and/or experience needed to weed this one out. The easiest thing to do I suppose would be to try a new CD but I hate to buy one if it isn't necessary.

By the way, I have not dragged the files off the CD and tried that yet.

Thanks again for your help.

Tim