Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Longfilename.exe

• Please log in to reply

revi

revi

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi all,

Can anybody help with this one?

Every time I start my Win XP Pro, before all start up programs are loaded, I get a error box with the yellow stuff saying that "Windows cannot load the Program Longfilename" When I shut that box down, another appear immediately with the text "Windows cannot load the program Longfilename.exe and I should remove it from my registry.

I've tried to remove it but cannot find reference to it in the Registry.

Thing is, nothing else loads until I cancel these boxes.

Please help if you can

Cheers

Revi

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup
Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

revi

revi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello rshaffer61

Thanks for the speedy response.

I've followed your instructions and didn't have to look to hard in start up to notice that my problem was listed. By the way, it is called "longpathname.exe" and not "longfilename"
I have left that box unticked and Windows now start up without those irritating messages.

What is this programme and is there anyway of getting it off my PC?

Rshaffer61 a big thanks anyway for solving this problem for me, it's been a pest for a while now.

Revi

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. To find out what it belongs to go back into msconfig as instructed above. Look at the entry you unclicked. To the right of it should be the path of where it is residing in. that will tell you what program it's attached to.
To get rid of it for good do the following
Go to
start>run>type in cmd
click ok
A dos window will pop up
type in the following and click eneter after each entry
cd\
cd windows
edit win.ini
Use the arrow keys to scroll down the blue screen that appears until you find a line that reads RUN=LONGPATHNAME.EXE.
Delete LONGPATHNAME.EXE from this line so that it now reads RUN=.
Click on File>Save at the top left of the window.
Click on File>Exit.
type exit and then click enter
Restart the computer.
The problem should now be completely gone. Please let me know if it works for you

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 April 2009 - 06:27 PM.

revi

revi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi rshaffer61

Got to the blue screen but could find no reference to "longpathname.exe"

The path in start up was Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current version which did not make any sense as I'm on a XP platform.

Well if it cannot be removed, at least it don't seem to be a bother now Mate,

Cheers

Revi

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current version This is normal in Xp as it is based off the NT kernal.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your issue and your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible